Amir Khan called David Cameron for help after he was denied US visa - Daily Mail

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sat, 01/17/2015 - 10:58

Ollie Gillman for MailOnline

Boxer Amir Khan was forced to ask the Prime Minister for a favour after being denied a visa to the U.S. on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

The British Muslim had his visa application denied by 'edgy immigration guys' as he went to board a flight to Las Vegas to commentate on a fight last September. 

Luckily Khan, who is well-known in America, is on good terms with David Cameron and was able to put a call in asking him to pull some diplomatic strings.

Scroll down for video 

In an interview with The Times, the 28-year-old boxing champion spoke of the moment he was turned away at the gate as he tried to fly out to watch a fight between world champion Floyd Mayweather and Marcos Maidana.

Khan said: 'I was flying out on September 11. I think the immigration guys get edgy. They just told me my visa was refused and I couldn't get on the plane. 

'David Cameron takes my calls. He's a good friend. He came and opened this community centre for me. I rang him and said I had a bit of a problem. 

'He said, "Hold on a minute," then he called me back and it was sorted. 

'I also met Hillary Clinton in Washington and she asked me if I'd had problems, took my name and I haven't had a problem since. It's good to have those connections. I am grateful for what boxing has given me.'

Speaking of the effect Islamic extremism has had on the lives of ordinary British Muslims, Khan criticised Ukip leader Nigel Farage for blaming the Paris attacks on the country's 'gross policy of multiculturalism'.

The boxer said: 'What Nigel Farage said makes me angry. I was born here, went to school here, my mates are here. 

'I've won a world title with the Union Jack proudly displayed on my shorts. I've won an Olympic medal with my heart full of pride. I am more British even than Farage and a lot of white people. I try and show it through action.' 

Khan, who won the silver medal at the Athens Olympics in 2004 aged just 17, also spoke about the effect Islamic extremism has had on the lives of British Muslims, including his own.

He said: 'I'm getting pulled over in my car more, and at immigration. I think you have to see it as necessary. In the end they are keeping the country safe.'

The boxer recently made a trip to the Pakistani school where 148 people were killed in a terrorist massacre and donated the £30,000 shorts he wore in his welterweight title win.

'I've cancelled trips to Pakistan before on other people's advice. It can be a dangerous place,' he said. 

'But I've got a daughter myself now. I went because I wanted to tell those kids that they need to overcome fear and get back to school. That's how you make something of your life. You can't let terrorists win.'