Australia and PNG inaugural joint ministerial forum to oversee implementation of the regional resettlement arrangement

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 04/03/2014 - 16:31

Thursday, 03 April 2014

Joint media release with the Hon. Scott Morrison MP, Minister for Immigration and Border Protection and the Hon. Rimbink Pato, Papua New Guinean Minister for Foreign Affairs and Immigration.

The first monthly Joint Ministerial Forum to oversee implementation of the Regional Resettlement Arrangement (RRA) was held in Port Moresby on 2 April between Papua New Guinean Minister for Foreign Affairs and Immigration, the Hon Rimbink Pato, and Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, the Hon Scott Morrison MP.

The outcomes of the meeting were as follows:

Ministers noted the recent successful visit to Papua New Guinea by Prime Minister Abbott, the longest visit by an Australian Prime Minister for twenty five years, during which Mr Abbott announced Australia's commitment to support Papua New Guinea's preparations to host the APEC Summit in 2018, and Australia's willingness to increase the Australian police presence in Papua New Guinea.

Ministers also noted the ongoing strong commitment of both governments to strengthen the higher education sector in Papua New Guinea.

The next scheduled meeting is on 9 May 2014.

See: Index of Media Releases

URL:http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm213227.htm
Last update: Thursday, 03 April 2014 at 15:31 AEST