BULLETIN BOARD - Deccan Herald

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 03/06/2013 - 17:15

IT Quiz for engineering students

The Board for IT Education Standards (BITES), an autonomous agency promoted by Government of Karnataka in association Tata Consultancy Services(TCS) are organising the fourth edition of the Engineering IT Quiz – TCS Tech Bytes. The quiz is open for engineering students (BE/BTech) of all streams in Karnataka.
TCS TechBytes, a campus outreach program strives to provide a better understanding of IT to students of all streams of engineering. The objective is to enhance the knowledge and awareness of students and enable them to compete in the fast paced technology intensive industry.

Each institution can send 10 teams (two students per team) to participate in the Regional Finals of the quiz through an internal selection process. There is no participation fee. Entries have to be sent by the respective institutions on or before March 15  to:bitesitquiz@gmail.com or The Coordinator, BITES–TCS IT Quiz, BITES, #9 Ground floor, UNI Bldg, Thimmaiah Rd, Millers Tank Bed, Bangalore 560052. For more information visit www.bites.org.in

The Regional Level Quiz will be conducted at the following six locations: Hubli – March 23, Gulbarga – March 25, Tumkur – March 28, Mysore - April 2, Mangalore – April 4, and Bangalore on April 9. The State Finals will be held at Bangalore on April 9, 2013.Winners at both the Regional and State Finals will receive educational scholarships and other attractive prizes from TCS.

Subject: The quiz will focus on application of technology across various sectors and aspects such as: The technology environment, the business, its people, new trends, legends, etc. It will also focus on emerging areas such as: cloud computing, telecom, biometrics and robotics, besides covering personalia – international and national, software products, history of IT and areas where IT has made an impact.

Courses in animation, video game, design

Tthe DSK Group of Companies, in asscoiateion witth the French Institution Supinfocom, is now starting courses in animation, video game, and industrial design. The admission process for the coming academic year has commenced for all the three categories and is inviting applications from the students of Bangalore. The school imparts education in full time, 5 years, high-end vocational courses in Animation, Video Game Art, Game Design, Game Programming (2 years Advanced Course), Transportation Design, Product Design, and Digital Design.

The eligibility is 10+ 2 for foundation course and graduation (with proven creative capabilities) for the advanced course. The academics is set and monitored, by the French Institution, to match the international standards of education. The core trainers (primarily from the industry) are recruited on a full-time basis from around the world.

IAS coaching

Kerala Samajam IAS Academy is organising free interview guidance sessions and mock interviews for the successful candidates of UPSC Civil services Examination 2012, on March 9th and 10th. Senior Civil servants and experts will lead the programme .For enrolment call 98801 47952

MSc course in entrepreneurship
The University of Sheffield’s Management School invites applications for its newly launched MSc in Entrepreneurship programme. This 12 month programme aims to bring together theoretical and applied aspects of entrepreneurship in different contexts.

The University of Sheffield Management School is focused on ensuring that the programmes they offer successfully prepare students for whichever career path they choose.   With an increasing number of graduates choosing to pursue an entrepreneurial career path, the Management School has responded by developing a new MSc in Entrepreneurship to prepare students for the unique challenges that this entails.

The programme modules in the course include Theory and Concepts in Entrepreneurship, Corporate Entrepreneurship, Social and Alternative Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurial Venture Creation, Entrepreneurial Economies, Entrepreneurship and Change Management, Entrepreneurship Research Methods, Accounting and Financial Management and Strategic Management. The University’s Management School also has two dedicated careers advisers available at the School with specialist knowledge of opportunities in business and management.

Holders of a three year bachelor degree with a minimum of 60% or first class from a reputable university will be considered for direct admission or holders of a four year bachelor degree in science, engineering or technology degrees with a minimum of 55% or second class from a reputable university combined with a desire to learn about the principles and practices of entrepreneurship.

Prior management or entrepreneurship experience is not mandatory. IELTS is the preferred test of language. The programme commences in September 2013 and the deadline to apply is June 2013. The University also guarantees scholarship worth £2000 which is applicable to this course.

For information visit www.shef.ac.uk/management/msc/courses/entrepreneurship. For any details about the MSc in Entrepreneurship, one can contact the course director Dr Tim Vorley at tim.vorley@shef.ac.uk

Vocational baking course

The Institute of Baking and Cake Art (IBCA), has announced the launch of a two-month-long `Job oriented Bakery Course’ for young and interested candidates to enter the growing food industry.

The vocational training baking course focuses on practical and technical classification of baking and product making. Practical program is dealt with aggressive product practice and learning to make a candidate understand why’s and how’s of knowledge ingredients and its procedure for achieving perfection. At the end of the training session, job assistance will be provided to all participants to work with major industry players across the country.

The Government of India has recognized this training program in Skill development and the Ministry of Labor has authorized Institute of Baking & Cake Art to conduct 2 month Vocational Training in Baking (VTB). This training program is open to 10th std SSLC / ICSE students as well as 2nd PUC students. For details call Nalini: 9341721680

Survey reveals skill shortage

Industries in India are facing acute talent/skill set shortage, according to a survey conducted by BrainCafe and IMRB. This strange situation is caused by the gap between academic courses opted by Indian students and demands of the industry. If we consider the scenario in the field of engineering, especially IT, talent shortage has been one of the major concerns in the IT sector. Though India produces more than five lakh engineers annually, only 2.68% meet the skill set requirement of the IT product sector.

Talent shortage stems from the fact that there is a lack of exposure to students at schools/college levels towards developing skill sets as per the requirement of the industry.

Computer science scholarships

The Department of Computer Science at Loughborough University, which is one of the leading teaching institutions in the UK, is offering scholarships for its undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.

The Loughborough University International Scholarship is being offered for all undergraduate programmes within the Department of Computer Science. The scholarship is available for international students applying for full time programmes. It is worth 25% of the programme tuition fee. The students applying for any of the undergraduate programmes will be automatically considered for a scholarship on the basis of the information submitted in the original application. There is no separate scholarship application required.

For details, the students can send their queries to the Admissions tutor Dr  Daniel Reidenbach d.reidenbach­@lboro.ac.uk