Central university VC wants more students to apply - The Hindu

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 06/07/2015 - 21:07

Despite Central University of Karnataka at Kadaganchi near Kalaburagi offering sought-after quality courses at low fees, not many students from the State were aware of them, rued Vice-Chancellor H.M. Maheshwaraiah on Sunday.

Addressing presspersons here, Prof. Maheshwaraiah, who took charge as the Vice-Chancellor a month ago, said the courses and facilities available at the university, the only central university in Karnataka, were not popular yet.

Prof. Maheshwaraiah said that not many were aware of the fact that students from across the State and the country could apply for various courses at the university.

He said that 18 departments and nine schools were offering various courses in the university, including Ph.D programmes. Presently, there are 1,300 students studying on the campus located 30 kilometres away from Kalaburagi on the Aland Road.

Prof. Maheshwaraiah said that while the process of admission to various courses had begun, the last date for applying for the courses through Online Application was June 17. Subsequently an entrance test would be held at 18 centres in the State, including Dharwad, Belagavi, Davangere, Shivamogga, and Karwar.

For students from other States, the test would be held at Vijayawada, Hyderabad, New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Kochi, Panaji, Bhuvaneshwar and Guwahati, he said. Prof. Mahaeshwaraiah said all the research students selected would be paid a stipend of Rs. 8,000 per month.

There was a full tuition fee-waiver for girls with family income less than Rs. 6 lakh and for Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes students.

New course

He said the university, in association with Hindustan Aviation Academy, Bengaluru, would offer a four-year B.Tech in Aerospace Engineering from the current academic year. In the coming years, it plans to set up more community colleges.

How to apply

Students can visitwww.cuk.ac.in/admisions2015to download and submit the online application. For details, call 08477 226707/6713, 9972725110, 9972191661.

Presently, there are 1,300 students studying on the campus