Clearing 2015: Russell Group universities with vacancies - Telegraph.co.uk

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/06/2015 - 07:01

Some of Britain's top universities have listed vacancies through the Ucas Clearing system today, as nearly 5,000 UK International Baccalaureate (IB) students collect their results.

It's the first time that the Universities and Colleges Admission Service (Ucas) have opened their search early for candidates who already have their results.

Figures show that 14 out of 24 elite Russell Group universities are already listing vacancies on their courses, with over 2,500 courses advertised at the time of publication.

University applications: dates for your diary

The University of Birmingham, the University of Leeds, the University of Bristol, the University of Liverpool and the University of Sheffield are among the top universities advertising places this year.

Courses with availability include disciplines such as English, law, maths, physics, business management and economics.

Overall, 279 universities and colleges are advertising courses and it is thought that this number will rise following A-level Results Day in August, as institutions confirm the number of vacancies they have.

Clearing - the system by which students who haven't achieved their grades, can apply for a university place - previously opened at midnight on A-level Results Day. However, this year, the system has opened earlier for students who already have their results.

The new search window will stay open until July 27, it will then reopen again for Scottish Clearing vacancies on August 3, and all other vacancies on August 12.

It could mean that IB students, who collect their results today, and candidates from previous application cycles have an advantage over their A-level counterparts, who will not know their results until August 13.

However, Liz Hunt, admissions manager at the University of Sheffield, said A-level students "shouldn't worry" about the headstart IB students have.

"[The early start] gives us a chance to process any applications that do come in," she said. "This means that when we get to A-level results, we are in a much better position to help those students, whether they are looking for a place in Clearing or whether they are looking to trade up through Adjustment."

This year, Ucas have lauched their Clearing search early, in order to make the process "easier for applicants".

Overall, 279 universities and colleges are displaying vacancies in thousands of subjects.

Today's figures come following the removal of the cap on student numbers this year, meaning universities will be allowed to recruit as many students as they choose.

Last summer, universities were allowed to recruit as many applicants as they wished with an A and two Bs or better at A-level, but under plans announced by George Osborne, the Chancellor, in the 2013 Autumn Statement, this year the cap will be lifted completely.

It is thought that the move could lead to the biggest expansion of higher education in 50 years.

A spokesperson from the University of Liverpool said: "Due to the removal of the student number controls, we anticipate having most of our degree programmes, with the exception of Clinical (Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Science) available in Clearing and Adjustment.

"We will be able to confirm how many places will be available when the A-level results are published in August."

A Ucas spokesperson said: "Displaying the vacancies in July will help the applicants who already have their results.

"Contacting universities from early July to discuss and secure places has always been possible for those with results, the difference this year is that we’re displaying what’s available to make the process easier for applicants and universities and colleges."

More to follow

Useful links:
Step-by-step guide to Clearing
Step-by-step guide to Adjustment
Step-by-step guide to A-level Results Day
Download the Telegraph's Clearing app for iPhone and Android