Denmark: PhD Scholarship in Sustainable Chemistry for Biomass Utilization

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sat, 06/29/2013 - 23:01

Technical University of DenmarkA PhD Scholarship is available at the Department of Chemistry at the Technical University of Denmark. The scholarship is co-financed by the Danish Council for Independent Research Council, Technology and Production Sciences.

Background and Relevance: The exhaustion of fossil resources requires that alternative pathways to fuels and materials are developed. Utilization of biomass is one of the more prominent solutions and the use of sustainable chemical reactions (i.e. catalysis) is suggested. The chemical components of biomass are typically richer in oxygen than the desired products, thus requiring chemical reactions capable of reducing the oxygen content. Although traditional chemical routes involving dehydration, oxidation and hydrogenation have shown some promise more efficient solutions are needed.

Research Plan: We propose to further expand the scope of these processes by carrying out a combined theoretical and experimental investigation of known transformations. Then we intend to use computational chemistry to quickly screen hundreds of new catalyst compositions. Finally, we will synthesize and test the most promising of these in silico-generated catalysts to identify those with improved reactivity, thus potentially resulting in more efficient utilization of biomass.

Projects in the group frequently involve experimental physical organic chemistry, such as NMR, competition experiments, isotopic labeling experiment and online monitoring using infrared spectroscopy (ReactIR). These experimental techniques are combined with modern computational modeling (often based on density functional theory) to obtain information about reaction pathways and reactive intermediates that is otherwise difficult to obtain.

Supervisors: Peter Fristrup, Department of Chemistry, DTU.

Qualifications: Candidates should have a master’s degree in chemistry or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to the Master’s Degree. In addition, candidates should be excellent in both spoken and written English.

Experience with organic synthesis, organometallic chemistry or computational chemistry is a necessary requirement.

Approval and Enrolment: The scholarships for the PhD degree are subject to academic approval, and the candidates will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes of DTU. For information about the general requirements for enrolment and the general planning of the scholarship studies, please see the DTU PhD Guide.

Salary and Appointment Terms: The salary and appointment terms are consistent with the current rules for PhD degree students. The period of employment is 3 years.

Employment can be from September 1st 2013.

Further Information: Further information is available at http://www.organic.kemi.dtu.dk/Research/PeterFristrup.aspx or by contacting Peter Fristrup, email: pf@kemi.dtu.dk

Please do not send applications to this e-mail address, instead apply online as described below.

Application: We must have your online application by 31 July 2013.
Applications must be submitted as one pdf file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link “Apply online,” fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one pdf file. The file must include:

• A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
  • Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and excel spreadsheet here) 

Candidates may apply prior to obtaining their master’s degree, but cannot begin before having received it.

All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.

Application Deadline: 31 July 2013