E-2 Visa Eligibility for Israeli Nationals: Hope for 2015?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 12/08/2014 - 14:22

NEW YORK, Dec. 8, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- JSBarkats PLLC -- Finally this year, the Israeli Knesset Interior Committee approved a bilateral treaty between Israel and the United States, allowing U.S. citizens to receive investor visas in Israel. The Israeli investor visa now allows U.S. citizens to stay and work in Israel for as long as needed for the investment, along with the investor's spouse and children and any essential employees in the business.

Approval of such bilateral treaty opens the door to the implementation of the E-2 visa eligibility for Israeli nationals seeking to invest in U.S. businesses. The U.S.'s E-2 treaty investor visa would have to grant the same benefits to Israeli citizens in the U.S. "The Israeli community contributes greatly to the U.S. economy: In 2012, Israel had more companies listed on the NASDAQ stock exchange than any other country outside the U.S. Hence many of our clients at JSBarkats are Israeli public companies, listed on NASDAQ," said Sunny J. Barkats, the founding partner of JSBarkats and a 2014 best corporate securities attorney according to Thomson Reuters' subsidiary SuperLawyers.

E-2 implementation anticipated to be soon:

Indeed, back in June 2012, President Obama signed the legislation for the implementation of an investor visa for Israelis but its implementation has been delayed while the Obama administration works at finalizing the terms of the visa. David Newman, the Director of Legal Affairs at the State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs, estimated that the implementation of the Israeli investor visa could take approximately six months, which is in line with the time that had been required for implementing the E-3 visa for Australian nationals several years ago.

Therefore, it is anticipated that both governments will finalize the implementation of these legislations and U.S. federal agencies will begin to accept Israelis' E-2 visa applications soon.

Not to be confused with EB-5 investor visas, which offer permanent residence, E-2 visas are temporary work visas. However, E-2 visas can be renewed indefinitely as long as the investor is actively running the business. There is also no annual quota on this type of visa.

Ophelie Jaschke, Chair of the Immigration group at JSBarkats, added, "We have been known to assist and support French restaurateurs and startups in New York and Florida. We have had the opportunity to provide our services to individual Israeli entrepreneurs. We are excited about this new opportunity that will benefit both nations and bring tremendous brainpower to the U.S."

In the meantime, Israeli nationals seeking U.S. visas based on international trade may apply under the E-1 trader visa category pursuant to the currently existing United States-Israel Trade Treaty. Ms. Jaschke welcomes such inquiries.

JSBarkats will continue to monitor the status of the implementation of the U.S. legislation and will provide updates as they become available. To reach us at JSBarkats regarding these issues, please email us at visa@jsbarkats.com. You can also call Ms. Jaschke at (646) 502-7001 from within the U.S. From Israel, dial (03)720-7013 to reach our New York office.

JSBarkats, PLLC is a dynamic full-service law firm headquartered in the heart of Manhattan. The Firm offers services in numerous areas of law, including corporate and securities law, intellectual property, litigation, real estate, bankruptcy and immigration law. The synergy among the Firm's departments enables us to provide one-stop pragmatic solutions to all our clients' challenges, from individuals to Fortune 500 companies. At JSBarkats, we live by the motto "Viam Inveniemus aut Faciemus": WE WILL EITHER FIND A WAY OR MAKE ONE: www.JSBarkats.com