Ethnic university rush: Black, Asian and Chinese pupils more likely to apply ... - Daily Mail

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 07/24/2014 - 20:58

By
Laura Clark

White teenagers are the least likely group to apply to university after being overtaken by black pupils, figures revealed yesterday.

Rising numbers from all ethnic groups are setting their sights on a degree but white teenagers are less likely to apply than black, Asian or Chinese pupils.

The statistics also show that pupils on free school meals due to family poverty are half as likely to seek a place as their more privileged peers. Just one in seven schoolboys on free meals is aiming for university.

The analysis from the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service examined applications from 18-year-olds at England’s state schools to start university this autumn.

It shows that 31 per cent of white teenagers applied – compared with 61 per cent of Chinese, 45 per cent of Asian and 39 per cent of black.

The report compares the figures with those from 2006 and finds that demand among black teenagers has overtaken the proportion of white pupils applying. While the application rate of white teenagers rose from 25 to 31 per cent, black pupils increased their applications more rapidly, from 24 per cent to 39 per cent.

‘Application rates for all groups are higher in 2014 than in 2006 with the largest increase being for the black ethnic group,’ the report said. The findings will focus fresh attention on under-achievement among white working-class pupils, who are fast falling to the bottom of the educational heap.

An inquiry by the Commons Education Select Committee last month called for radical measures to help reverse the ‘real and persistent’ under-performance of poorer white pupils, including longer school days to help children complete their homework.

It called for further research on the role of poor parenting and the ‘effects of historical funding and strategies’. UCAS revealed that this year has seen the second highest total number of university applications submitted on record.

The figure suggests demand for higher education is recovering following a sudden drop in applications sparked by the introduction of higher fees in 2012. But the latest analysis shows wide variation between groups. Record numbers of pupils on free school meals are aiming for university but they are still half as likely to apply than peers whose parents can afford to pay for their lunches.

Some 18 per cent of pupils eligible for free meals applied this year – compared with 37 per cent of more privileged youngsters.

Among poorer pupils, girls were 50 per cent more likely to apply than boys.

UCAS warned earlier this year that weak demand among male pupils was becoming a more pressing issue than under-representation of youngsters from poor homes.

UCAS chief Mary Curnock Cook said: ‘There remains a stubborn gap between male and female applicants which, on current trends, could eclipse the gap between rich and poor within a decade.’

Separate research earlier this week – based on university applications in 2008 – found that although ethnic minority groups were over-represented on campus, applicants from these groups were less likely to receive offers of places than white pupils with the same academic record. The study, from the London School of Economics, also found that boys were losing out to girls in the university race even when they have the same A-level grades.

Pupils from comprehensives and those from working-class backgrounds were also at a disadvantage. Researchers suggested the quality of personal statements on university application forms may help explain the findings.

Speaking about the latest figures, Professor Les Ebdon, director of Fair Access to Higher Education, said: ‘The upwards application trends are good news, but stark gaps remain between application rates from young people from different backgrounds.

‘That means many talented, intelligent young people are missing out on the economic and social mobility that higher education helps to support, and the country is missing out on a pool of potentially excellent graduates who could be enriching our economy and society.’

A Department for Business spokesman said: ‘This data confirms that the proportion of 18-year-olds from the most disadvantaged backgrounds applying to university has reached its highest level ever. The Government is committed to providing access to all students irrespective of background.’