Gates Cambridge Scholarships (Masters & PhD) in UK for International Students 2013-2014

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 07/30/2013 - 17:06

University of CambridgeDescription: Gates Cambridge Trust offers full fee postgraduate (Masters and PhD) Scholarships for outstanding International students to study any course at the University of Cambridge, UK 2014

Accepted Subject Areas: Masters and PhD Courses offered by the University

About Scholarship: Gates Cambridge Scholarships are highly competitive full-cost scholarships. They are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. The programme aims to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.

Scholarship Offered Since: Not SpecifiedGates Cambridge scholarship

Scholarship Type: Full-Cost Masters and PhD scholarship

Selection Criteria

• outstanding intellectual ability
  • leadership potential
  • a commitment to improving the lives of others
  • a good fit between the applicant’s qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate programme at Cambridge for which they are applying

Eligibility

• a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
  • applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study: PhD (three year research-only degree); MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree); or a one year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
  • already a student at Cambridge and want to apply for a new postgraduate course. For example, if you are studying for an MPhil you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to do a PhD. However, if you have already started a course, you cannot apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to fund the rest of it.
  • already a Gates Cambridge Scholar and want to apply for a second Scholarship. You must apply by the second, international deadline and go through the same process of departmental ranking, shortlisting and interviewing as all other candidates.

Number of Scholarship: Several

Value of Scholarship: Scholarship will cover the full cost of study

• the University Composition Fee and College fees at the appropriate rate*
  • a maintenance allowance for a single student (£13, 300 for 12 months at the 2012-13 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months)
  • one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course

Duration of Scholarship: For the duration of the programme

Eligible Countries: For international students

To be Taken at (Country): Cambridge University UK

Application Deadline: Applications for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship for October 2014 entry will open on 1 September 2013. The deadlines are as follows:

• Round 1 (US citizens based in the USA) – 15 October 2013
  • Round 2 (all other eligible candidates) - 3 December 2013

Offered annually? Yes

How to Apply: More Information about this Scholarship http://www.gatescambridge.org/apply/

Sponsors: Gates Cambridge Trust

Important Notes: Gates Cambridge Scholarships are extremely competitive: over 4,000 applicants apply for 90 Scholarships each year.

Given the intense competition, the Trust has a four stage selection process:

• Departmental ranking – the very best applicants to each department are ranked on academic merit only
  • Shortlisting – Gates Cambridge committees review the applications of ranked candidates using all four Gates Cambridge criteria and put forward a list for interview
  • Interview – all shortlisted candidates have a short interview to assess how they meet all four Gates Cambridge criteria
  • Selection – chairs of interview panels meet to decide the final list of Scholars
  • A good fit between the applicant’s qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate programme at Cambridge for which they are applying