Grass Fellowship Program for US and International Applicants in USA, 2014

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 08/21/2013 - 12:07

The Grass FoundationEligibility:-Early investigators (late stage pre doctoral trainees and beyond) are eligible to apply. This includes applicants with prior experience at MBL or with the Grass Foundation (MBL course alumni are encouraged to apply).
-Priority is given to applicants with a demonstrated commitment to pursuing a Research Career.
-International Fellows (i.e., not US citizens or resident aliens) must hold either a J-1 or H-1B visa for the entire duration of the fellowship.
-The Grass Foundation values diversity in all of its programs.
-Investigators at all early career stages are eligible to apply.

Description: Grass Fellowships at the Marine Biological Laboratory (MBL) in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, USA, support investigator-designed, independent research projects by scientists early in their career. Supported approaches include neurophysiology, biophysics, integrative neurobiology, neuroethology, neuroanatomy, neuropharmacology, systems neuroscience, cellular and developmental neurobiology, and computational approaches to neural systems. The Foundation also has a longstanding interest in epilepsy-related research.

Subject: Various Courses

Level: Pursuing a Research Program at Marine Biological Laboratory (MBL) in Woods Hole, Massachusetts

How to Apply: The mode of applying is electronically. Students can email it to ( gfp-at-grassfoundation.org), and foundation will update the application.

Provider: The Grass Foundation

For Which Country: USA

For Whom: US and International Applicants

Number of Award: Approximately 8-10 Grass Fellowships are awarded annually.

Duration of Award: The duration of the program is 14 weeks, from 26 May to 30 August, 2014.

What Does it Cover: Grass Fellowships provide research support including laboratory space, animals, equipment and supplies for one summer at the MBL. Additionally, the investigator, his/her spouse or legal domestic partner, and dependent children are provided housing, a daily meal allowance and round-trip travel to the MBL. Fellows function as an intellectual and social group within the MBL scientific community while sharing space in the Grass Laboratory. In a weekly private seminar series, eminent investigators at the MBL discuss their work with the Fellows. In addition, a yearly Forbes Lecturer (in 2014, Dr. Joseph Fetcho, Cornell University) will spend a portion of the summer in the Grass Lab interacting with Fellows.

Selection Criteria: The Trustees of The Grass Foundation judge an applicant’s ability to organize and present pertinent information, the scientific merit of the proposed research, and evidence of an applicant’s ability to work independently. Most Fellows share space in the Grass Lab; some arrange to work in the space of another MBL investigator.

Notification: Applicants must ensure that the completed application and letters of recommendation are submitted by the deadline. Decisions will be announced by 21 January 2014.

Deadline: Applications for Summer 2014 Must be Received by 5 December 2013.