The Hajj pilgrimage and border screening at Australian airports

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 09/23/2014 - 17:55

Tuesday, 23 September 2014

Australian Customs and Border Protection Service (ACBPS) officers will operate as sensitively and expeditiously as possible during the Hajj pilgrimage to ensure legitimate travellers are not inconvenienced by government efforts to strengthen management of national security threats, Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, the Hon Scott Morrison said today.

'The government is aware many Australians are currently seeking to travel to the Middle East to perform the annual Hajj pilgrimage. ACBPS officers have been provided with guidance in relation to the Hajj, including familiarity with the Hajj visa,' Minister Morrison said.

'Consultations between senior ACBPS officers and representatives of the Australian Islamic community have taken place including with His Eminence, the Grand Mufti of Australia Dr Ibrahim Abu Mohammad and members of the Australian National Imams Council.

'Further meetings are due to take place across Australia in the coming week.

'Australian citizens and dual nationals fighting illegally in overseas conflicts pose a national security threat. Identifying such travellers before they arrive at the border, or before their intended departure, is a top priority for the government.

'ACBPS checks will be focussed on ensuring departing passengers are not seeking to join a terrorist or paramilitary group overseas, possibly under the cover of legitimate travel, and subsequently present a national security risk to Australia.

'New screening measures have been introduced at Australia's airports as part of whole-of-government efforts to strengthen management of national security threats. They are being applied across all travellers based on risk assessments and intelligence.

'Security will have priority over passenger processing at airports. I appeal for travellers to show patience while officers do their jobs with respect and in accordance with the law,' Minister Morrison said.

More information on ACBPS' enhanced screening activities at the border, and tips for travellers to assist their passage through airports, is available at www.customs.gov.au.

See: Index of Media Releases

URL:http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm218071.htm
Last update: Tuesday, 23 September 2014 at 16:55 AEST