Independent inquiry into 'Nauru Allegations'

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 10/03/2014 - 12:00

Friday, 03 October 2014

Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, the Hon Scott Morrison today announced an independent review into allegations of inappropriate conduct by contracted service providers at the Nauru Offshore Processing Centre (OPC) and that such allegations may have been fabricated as part of an orchestrated campaign, involving service provider staff to undermine the government's border protection policies.

'The government takes allegations of misconduct by employees of contracted service providers at the Nauru OPC very seriously, particularly allegations of abuse or sexual misconduct. It is also of great concern to receive reports that such allegations may have been fabricated as part of a wider campaign by staff, acting in concert with external advocates, to seek to change government policy,' Minister Morrison said.

'When allegations of serious misconduct involving sexual abuse were raised with me, I referred them to my Department for assessment and advice. In the course of the week I was alerted to additional reporting that cast doubt on the integrity of these abuse allegations and the probability of additional activity by some service provider staff, working with advocates outside Nauru, seeking to undermine the government's border protection policies.

'This matter needs to be resolved.

'Allegations of sexual abuse and misconduct are serious and need to be addressed and action taken wherever necessary.

'Equally the government must have confidence that service providers act with professionalism and in accordance with their contractual obligations. They are employed to do a job, not to be political activists. Making false claims, and worse allegedly coaching self-harm and using children in protests is unacceptable, whatever their political views or agendas.

'Today I announce that the Acting Secretary of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection has commissioned Mr Phillip Moss to conduct an independent investigation into all of these matters.'

Mr Philip Moss is the former Integrity Commissioner and former head of the Australian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity (ACLEI). Mr Moss has served the Australian Government's law enforcement and integrity communities with distinction since July 2007, when he was appointed the inaugural Integrity Commissioner.

Mr Moss will be asked to:

'The review will look closely at the actions of all entities contracted by the Australian Government to provide services at the centre,' Minister Morrison said.

'Allegations of criminal conduct committed under Nauruan law will be referred to relevant Nauruan authorities to investigate and prosecute, as appropriate.

'In addition, I can confirm that a series of matters relating to possible breaches of s70 of the Crimes Act relating to the use of official information have been referred to the Australian Federal Police.

'I can also advise that my Department has had to invoke provisions under the service provider contract to require the removal of ten staff from Save the Children from Nauru. I should stress that these removals do not relate to any suspected misconduct regarding sexual abuse or sexual misconduct.

'Yesterday I spoke to my Nauruan counterpart, Minister for Justice, David Adeang, on this matter. Mr Adeang has indicated his support for the review.

'Consistent with the MOU between Australia and Nauru, the security, good order and management of the centre, including the care and welfare of persons residing in the centre, remains the responsibility of the sovereign Government of Nauru. The Australian Government provides support to the Nauruan Government in this role.

'Accordingly, it is important that Mr Moss will work closely with Nauruan authorities on this review and share his findings with them,' Minister Morrison said.

Mr Moss has been directed to deliver an interim report within the next seven weeks, with a final report due at the end of the year.

See: Index of Media Releases

URL:http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm218327.htm
Last update: Friday, 03 October 2014 at 11:00 AEST