Inquiry launched into skilled migration visa fraud in Australia - Australia Forum

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 08/08/2014 - 11:29

An urgent investigation has been launched in Australia into claims that up to 90% of skilled migration visas may be fraudulent.

According to an investigation by news group Fairfax Media, government files give details of rampant visa fraud and migration crime involving plane arrivals into Australia.

The group also claims that the ‘secret’ documents show that more than nine in 10 Afghan visa applicant cases involved fraud of some type.

The malpractice is said to have taken place under the previous government, when allegations of fraud and crime networks running migration scams were not properly investigated because the immigration department did not have enough resources.

Overall, it is claimed that the leaked files show that tens of thousands of immigration fraudsters were living freely after being assisted by crime networks exploiting weaknesses in working, student, family and humanitarian visa programmes.

Current Immigration and Citizenship Minister Scott Morrison has ordered an urgent inquiry. “The media reports today regarding serious integrity matters in our immigration programme relate to alleged events that occurred under the previous government. The Abbott Government will address weaknesses in the system wherever it is required with the same resolve we have shown in stopping the boats,” he said.

“The government takes its responsibilities to ensure the integrity of our immigration programme very seriously. That is why we have taken actions to protect the integrity of our immigration programme whether through our border protection operations, closing loopholes in the system, or increasing the level of compliance activity across various visa categories including 457s,” he explained.

“Given the government’s strong commitment in this area, I have sought an urgent report from my department on these matters and will consider what further action is then necessary after receiving this initial response,” he pointed out.

“While the reports regarding the alleged events under the previous government are serious, it would be inappropriate to leap ahead to any conclusions. At this point, these reports are allegations. We will deal methodically with the issues raised in the reports, establish the veracity and implications of what is being alleged and move forward from there,” he added.

The documents are said to reveal the existence of a migration crime network involving a facilitator with suspected Pakistan terrorist links, along with migration agents, employers and education providers who are linked to a significant level of organised fraud and crime.

They are also said to reveal a Somali people-smuggling cell linked to an overseas terrorism suspect that has gotten dozens of people into Australia through a passport swapping scam. Fairfax said those involved in that case were not pursued due to a lack of interest and resources among police.