Joint press release on the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding in the field of transnational crime between Malaysia - Australia

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 12/19/2014 - 01:00

Friday, 19 December 2014

Malaysia and Australia have strengthened their relationship to combat transnational crime, with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the two countries in Langkawi today.

Malaysian Minister of Home Affairs, Dato' Seri Dr. Ahmad Zahid Hamidi and Australian Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, the Hon. Scott Morrison MP agreed that the MoU will build on the long history of cooperation between Malaysia and Australia on maritime, customs and home affairs matters such as immigration and trafficking in persons including counter-people smuggling. The MoU provides an excellent framework to ramp up efforts to combat transnational crime including terrorism, human trafficking and serious organised crime.

The Minister's also agreed on a number of new measures to strengthen regional capability against illegal immigration and transnational crime.

This includes Australia's support for Malaysia's Advance Passenger Screening System (APSS) and establishment of a Regional Movement Alert System (RMAS) to help combat the fraudulent use of travel documents.

Hon. Dato' Seri Dr. Ahmad Zahid said that the two countries are taking an active stance in stamping out transnational crime, which undermines the economic progress and social stability of our region.

'Current international issues have highlighted the importance of having robust bilateral arrangements, and combating transnational crime is a critical issue in our region. Malaysia values Australia as a regional partner and is excited to enhance bilateral cooperation to counter criminal activities,' Dato' Seri Zahid said.

Minister Morrison said this MoU will strengthen Australia's borders through the sharing of resources and the exchange of information between Australia and Malaysia.

'Malaysia has been an integral partner in regional and bilateral efforts against people smuggling, particularly as it is both a destination country and transit country for people seeking to reach Australia by boat,' Minister Morrison said.

'Today's announcements are a testament to our close working relationship and our shared commitment to addressing transnational crime and related issues.'

The MoU came into effect upon signing by both Ministers.

See: Index of Media Releases

URL:http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm220235.htm
Last update: Saturday, 20 December 2014 at 15:17 AEST