Media reports on fraud allegations under previous government

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 08/07/2014 - 12:23

Thursday, 07 August 2014

The media reports today regarding serious integrity matters in our immigration programme relate to alleged events that occurred under the previous government.

The Abbott Government will address weaknesses in the system wherever it is required with the same resolve we have shown in stopping the boats.

The government takes its responsibilities to ensure the integrity of our immigration programme very seriously. That is why we have taken actions to protect the integrity of our immigration programme whether through our border protection operations, closing loopholes in the system, or increasing the level of compliance activity across various visa categories including 457s.

Given the government's strong commitment in this area, I have sought an urgent report from my department on these matters and will consider what further action is then necessary after receiving this initial response.

While the reports regarding the alleged events under the previous government are serious, it would be inappropriate to leap ahead to any conclusions. At this point, these reports are allegations.

We will deal methodically with the issues raised in the reports, establish the veracity and implications of what is being alleged and move forward from there.

Any requirement to address integrity issues in other areas of the portfolio should not and will not lead to any lessening of our successful efforts, which are saving lives, in addressing the serious problems of people smuggling.

In addition, contrary to reports today, the establishment of the Australian Border Force will better equip the portfolio to deal with integrity challenges resulting in clearer lines of accountability and improved resourcing.

See: Index of Media Releases

URL:http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm216927.htm
Last update: Thursday, 07 August 2014 at 11:23 AEST