Minister congratulates BPC personnel on bravery award

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 03/24/2014 - 17:49

Monday, 24 March 2014

Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, the Hon. Scott Morrison, congratulated Border Protection Command (BPC) personnel involved in the Christmas Island SIEV 221 tragedy of 15 December 2010, who were today awarded a Group Bravery Citation by the Governor-General of Australia, the Hon. Quentin Bryce AC CVO.

17 BPC personnel were today awarded the citation for their involvement in the rescue of 42 people from the suspected illegal entry vessel as it went down off Christmas Island.

Minister Morrison said the bravery of BPC personnel should be a source of pride for the entire nation.

'The men and women of Border Protection Command work in extremely difficult and demanding conditions,' Minister Morrison said.

'On that day personnel manoeuvred tenders and rigid hulled inflatable boats through the wreckage, at great personal risk to themselves and often perilously close to the cliff face. As a result of their bravery 42 people on the vessel were saved from drowning.

'Their selfless dedication to the rescue effort is being duly recognised.

'Today's award follows the Inaugural Customs CEO Awards which recognised Customs and Border Protection Service officers for outstanding service. This included the crew of the Australian Customs Vessel (ACV) Triton for their bravery during the SIEV 221 incident,' Minister Morrison said.

On 15 December 2010, SIEV 221 collided against high cliffs and was battered by rough waves. BPC personnel from Australian Customs Vessel (ACV) Triton and HMAS Pirie responded to the incident by launching tenders and rigid hulled inflatable boats.

See: Index of Media Releases

URL:http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm212827.htm
Last update: Monday, 24 March 2014 at 16:49 AEST