More than three months since last successful people smuggling venture

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 03/21/2014 - 13:38

Friday, 21 March 2014

The latest weekly update for Operation Sovereign Borders reveals there has not been a successful people smuggling venture to Australia for more than three months, Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, the Hon. Scott Morrison said today.

More than three months, more than 13 weeks, or 92 days have now passed since the last successful people smuggling venture to Australia. The government's strong border protection policies, particularly maritime operations, are working to prevent the illegal arrival of boats.

The government is doing what we said we would do to stop the boats and we are getting the results we said we would get.

The last people smuggling venture that made it to Australia and had all passengers handed over to Australian immigration authorities was on December 19 last year.

Over the same 92 day period in 2012/13 – 20 December 2012 to 21 March 2013 – there were 48 illegal boat arrivals with a total of 2569 people on board.

The longest period without a successful people smuggling venture under the previous government, after it abolished the Howard government's border protection policies, was 61 days when Senator Chris Evans was Minister for Immigration. Following that, under Minister Bowen, the longest period was 23 days, and then under Ministers O'Connor and Burke the longest period was just six days.

Under the Coalition government if someone seeks to illegally enter Australia on a boat, they will be stopped and removed.

Our Customs and Border Protection Service and Naval personnel implementing policy under Operation Sovereign Borders are conducting themselves to the highest standards in accordance with their training. Their work is saving lives at sea and providing more resettlement places in Australia for refugees waiting in desperate circumstances around the world.

The boats are stopping but there will be no let-up in the government's efforts to protect our borders. The full suite of policies and strong resolve from the government will remain in place to combat people smugglers and ensure they are not given an inch. The way to Australia is shut for illegal boat arrivals.

See: Index of Media Releases

URL:http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm212747.htm
Last update: Friday, 21 March 2014 at 12:38 AEST