MSP Syria Scholarship for Master’s and Short Course in Netherlands

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 06/10/2013 - 04:41

Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs funds MSP Syria Scholarship for pursuing Master’s degree programme or a short course at 14 selected Dutch institutions in Netherlands. Ideally half of the scholarships are allocated to female applicants. Three parties are involved in this programme i.e. Dutch institutions, Nuffic and SPARK. Nuffic manages and awards a grant to the Dutch institution that will provide the Master’s degree programme/ short course and SPARK receives and assesses all MSP Syria Scholarship applications. Applications should be submitted till 5th July 2013.

Study Subject(s): Scholarship is awarded for the courses on the MSP Syria Scholarship course list that are all offered by officially recognised Dutch institutions that have been assessed for their capacity to receive and teach students from a variety of backgrounds and are specialised in transferring knowledge and skills at a post-secondary level.
Course Level: This scholarship is for pursuing Master’s degree programme or a short course in the Netherlands.
Scholarship Provider: The MSP Syria Scholarship was initiated by the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which fully funds the programme.
Scholarship can be taken at: Netherlands

Eligibility: A candidate applying for an MSP Syria scholarship must:
-apply for a course on the MSP Syria course list 2013;
-complete an MSP Syria Scholarship application form and submit all the required documentation to SPARK (a candidate can only submit one application);
-be a national of Syria, having close ties with Syria and the Syrian society at the time of application;
-meet the admission requirements of the selected course. As such they must have at least a diploma or a bachelor’s degree in one of the selected fields of study and meet other educational or professional requirements, which may vary per course. For course details consult www.studyfinder.nl or the Dutch institution providing the course. Contact details can be found in the MSP Syria course list.
-offer evidence of proficiency in speaking and writing the language of instruction (English in most cases). Preferably, a candidate can provide evidence in the form of an official and verifiable score in an internationally recognised test, such as IELTS (a score of at least 6.0) or TOEFL (a score of at least 550 points on the paper-based test or 213 points on the computer-based test or 79 points on the internet-based test). The final decision about a candidate’s language proficiency lies with the Dutch institution.
-demonstrate a solid link between their educational background and the selected course; the course must have added value to the development of the country;
-be available for the entire period of the course and be physically and mentally able to take part in the entire course;
-declare that he/she agrees with the fact that the length of stay in the Netherlands is limited to the duration of the course

Scholarship Open for Students of Following Countries: Syrian students can apply for this scholarship.

Scholarship Description: The MSP Syria Scholarship was initiated by the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which fully funds the programme. The programme enables students from Syria to do a Master’s degree programme or a short course in the Netherlands. Ideally half of the scholarships are allocated to female applicants. The aim of the MSP Syria Scholarship is to assist Syrian students whose involvement in Civil Society activities has affected the prospects to continue or complete their University studies in Syria. Suitable candidates for the MSP Syria Scholarship are Syrian students who are personally active in efforts to improve the social conditions in Syria and who want to continue to play an active role in their society in the future.

Duration of award(s): The scholarship is only intended for the duration of the course or programme for which the candidate has been selected. The programme will run between October 2013 and January 2015. All courses that will be conducted will have a duration between 4 weeks and 12 months.

What does it cover? An MSP Syria Scholarship is a contribution to the costs of the selected master degree programme or short course. The following items are covered:
-subsistence allowance
-international travel costs
-visa costs
-course fee
- medical insurance
-allowance for study materials.
The allowances are considered to be sufficient to cover one person’s living expenses during the study period. The scholarship holders must cover any other costs from their own resources

Selection Criteria: SPARK receives and assesses all MSP Syria Scholarship applications. They assess whether the application is complete and whether the applicant is eligible and qualifies in light of the target group as defined for this programme.  In the selection process, they will look at:
Motivation to participate
Link between the course selected and your civic activities
The MSP Syria Scholarship will give priority to those who can demonstrate the scope and character of their prior or current civic involvement and show how this has affected their studies. They encourage you to submit supporting documentation of your civic involvement as part of your application.

Notification: The outcome of the selection will be made available to MSP Syria candidates through e-mail mid September.

How to Apply: Candidates should complete and sign the MSP Syria application form 2013. Eligible candidates who are interested in the MSP Syria Scholarship can request the application form by sending an email to: mspsyria2013-at-spark-online.org. The application form should be accompanied by the following necessary documentation:
-evidence of proficiency in speaking and writing the language of instruction;
-a complete copy of the candidate’s passport or other official identity document;
-certified copies of educational records, accompanied by translation(s) in English or French;
-a detailed Curriculum Vitae;
-one current photo;
-any documentation that supports your motivation/demonstrates your civic involvement.

Scholarship Application Deadline: Applications for the MSP Syria Scholarship must be submitted preferably by email to SPARK well before the scholarship application deadline of 5th July 2013.

Further Official Scholarship Information and Application