New partner in Border Protection

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sat, 11/29/2014 - 16:28

Saturday, 29 November 2014

Australia and Myanmar have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to work together on boosting Myanmar's immigration and border control under a five year plan, Minister for Immigration and Border Protection the Hon. Scott Morrison announced today.

'Australia has stronger domestic borders when the region has stronger borders. That is why we are working with partners throughout the region to build capability for stronger border management,' Minister Morrison said.

'Under the five-year MoU, the Governments of Australia and Myanmar will conduct an annual review of Myanmar's Immigration Border Management Plan.

'The plan, developed with the assistance of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, covers many aspects of border management including regulatory frameworks, governance, training and development, and systems and technology.

'These measures will assist Myanmar to facilitate its increasing number of travellers while promoting compliance with entry and stay requirements, ultimately leading to stronger borders.

'The Myanmar Government has already successfully implemented parts of the plan – an electronic visa is now available for tourists.

'The MoU is a further important step forward in diplomatic ties between Australia and Myanmar.

'Threats to our borders are growing and a regional approach is vital to counter people smuggling, terrorism and transnational crime. Australia and Myanmar are now partners in border protection.

'This agreement highlights the strong commitment Australia has to supporting the Myanmar Government's broader reform process and I look forward to seeing this relationship continue to develop and strengthen into the future.

'Assisting our regional partners in building stronger, more effective borders is a priority of the Coalition Government,' Minister Morrison said.

See: Index of Media Releases

URL:http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm219647.htm
Last update: Saturday, 29 November 2014 at 15:28 AEST