PhD Position in Ultracold Quantum Gases at ICFO in Spain, 2013

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/08/2013 - 01:05

Universitat Politecnica de CatalunyaEligibility: - Candidates must hold an internationally-recognized master degree (or evidence of its completion in the near future), preferably in physics.
-The candidate should have a proven track record of excellence in academics and research, and a strong interest in setting up and performing challenging experiments at the forefront of quantum physics.
-Background knowledge in some relevant technology such as optics, lasers, ultra-high vacuum systems, electronics, data acquisition and analysis is helpful (but not required).
-A solid background in theoretical quantum physics is very beneficial.
-We will provide a stimulating environment to perform research on the cutting edge of both science and technology.

Subject: Various Courses

Level: This fellowship is for pursuing PhD Research at ICFO in Spain.

How to Apply: The mode of applying is online.

Provider: ICFO – The Institute of Photonic Sciences, in collaboration with the Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya – BarcelonaTech (UPC)

For Which Country: Spain

For Whom: No restrictions of citizenship or gender apply to the ICFO PhD fellowships.

Description: ICFO, in collaboration with the Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya – BarcelonaTech (UPC), is offering a predoctoral fellowship to well-qualified graduate students who wish to enhance his/her scientific career in a friendly and stimulating environment, as well as to obtain a doctoral degree in any of the Photonics-related research fields. ICFO PhD students are enrolled in the PhD Program in Photonics that targets the most advanced topics in optical sciences and technologies, and have access to cutting-edge experimental infrastructures, specialized seminars, tailor-made training programs and active mentoring by ICFO Group Leaders. Entrepreneurship, commercialization techniques and seminars in the area of professional and personal development are also an integral part of the curriculum. The successful candidate will be working at ICFO as part of the Ultracold Quantum Gases group led by Dr. Leticia Tarruell. The group focuses on the experimental study of ultracold atoms in the quantum degenerate regime, and their potential to simulate condensed-matter phenomena in a highly controllable environment. In particular, we are interested in the possibility of engineering a wide range of artificial quantum materials by loading these atoms in non-standard optical lattices, and on developing novel techniques to prepare them and probe their properties. Specific topics of interest include the physics of quantum magnets, graphene, quasi-crystals and multi-orbital systems. The candidate will participate in the design and construction of a new experimental setup for the production of degenerate Bose and Fermi gases, and conduct experiments on these topics.

Number of award(s): Not Known

Duration of award (s): The fellowships are offered for periods of one year, renewable for a total of four years. The annual renewal of the ICFO-UPC fellowship is conditional on satisfactory performance in research and teaching activities, as well as on a positive evaluation by the thesis director and the ICFO Board.

What does it cover? Not Known

Selection Criteria: Not Known

Notification: Not Known

Deadline: The deadline for applications is 31st August, 2013.