Rhodes Scholarships for Southern Africa at University of Oxford in UK

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 07/14/2013 - 23:38

The Rhodes TrustRhodes Trust is funding Scholarships for pursuing full-time postgraduate degree at University of Oxford in UK. Students of Southern Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia or Swaziland can apply for this scholarship. Scholarship duration is two years which covers travel expenses, accommodation. Applicants must have undergraduate degree and applicants have to return after completion of the degree at Oxford University. The deadline for applications is before 15 August 201 3.

Study Subject(s): The scholarship is provided to learn any of the courses offered by the University of Oxford in UK.
Course Level: This scholarship is for pursuing full-time postgraduate degree at University of Oxford in UK.
Scholarship Provider: The Rhodes Trust
Scholarship can be taken at: UK

Eligibility:
a. You must have a first degree by the time you start at Oxford, which means that you must be at least in the final year of your first degree when you apply for the Scholarship.
b. Generally, applicants from South African universities will have had to do very well in their discipline. You will need to obtain a first class or a very strong upper second class degree.
c. You must live permanently in and have resided for at least five years within the period of ten years immediately preceding your application in South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia or Swaziland.
d. Unless you are a medical student or medical doctor, you must be at least 19 years and younger than 25 years on 1 October in the year after selection. This means that 201 4 applicants must have be en born after 30 September 198 9 and on or before 1 October, 199 5 . Page 2
e. For medical students and medical doctors the age limit is extended by three years. The intention is to:
i. Avoid successful medical school applicants having to postpone taking up the Scholars hip;
ii. Enable applicants to complete their medical internships before going to Oxford and to take up the Scholarship before completing their post – internship medical residency.
f. If you are registered for an MBBCh or an MBChB degree you may apply during your internship, provided that you are younger than 28 on 1 October in the year after selection, i.e. the year you would start at Oxford.
g. The Rhodes Trust and Oxford University require that selection for a Scholarship and for admission to the University will be w ithout regard to marital status, race, ethnic origin, colour, sex and gender, religion, sexual orientation, social background, disability, caste or other irrelevant distinction.
h. A selection committee will make no nomination if it is of the opinion that the re is no sufficiently qualified candidate.
i. You must make a commitment to work for the benefit of Africa in general or Southern Africa in particular after finishing at Oxford.

Scholarship Open for Students of Following Countries: Students of South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia or Swaziland can apply for this postgraduate scholarship.

Scholarship Description: Rhodes Scholarships in Southern Africa. These pages provide constituency-specific information on Rhodes Scholarships to Oxford for applicants from South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and Swaziland. The Scholarships for these countries are administered from a regional secretariat based in Johannesburg.

Number of award(s): There are:  four Scholarships every year for applicants from South Africa-at-Large, – one for applicants from KwaZulu-Natal, – one for applicants from Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and Swaziland, and – one each for applicants of or from Diocesan College, Rondebosch; South African College School, Newlands; Paul Roos Gymnasium, Stellenbosch; and St Andrew’s College, Grahamstown (including their identified partner schools.

Duration of award(s): The basic tenure of the Scholarship is two years, subject always and at all times, to satisfactory academic performance and personal conduct.

What does it cover? Reasonable travel expenses to the nearest selection committee for the purpose of interviews will be paid. b. Accommodation within South Africa will be supplied and paid for by the Trust. c. If you are invited to a preliminary interview in KwaZulu – Natal but are living outside the province, the Trust will, on demonstrated need, consider assisting you in covering your expenses.

Selection Criteria: The selection criteria, as found in the Will of Cecil Rhodes, govern selection across all Rhodes constituencies. They are: literary and scholastic attainments energy to use one’s talents to the full truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings.

Notification: Interviews: Applicants who cannot be at the relevant selection committee interviews will not be considered. For your guidance:
a. The regional and school selection committees usually meet in October/November.
b. The BLMNS selection committee will hold its interviews on 23 November and the South Africa – at – Large selections will be held on 30 November and 1 December.

How to Apply: Students can apply online, in person or by post.

Scholarship Application Deadline: The deadline for applications is before 15 August 201 3.

Further Official Scholarship Information and Application