Scott Morrison says Immigration Department investigating allegations of widespread visa fraud

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 08/06/2014 - 23:50

The Immigration Department says it will report to the Minister later today on allegations of widespread visa fraud over the past six years.

There are reports of fraud relating to 90 per cent of skilled migration visas and a range of visas from applicants from Afghanistan.

There are also allegations that the department had not investigated rorting because it was a low priority and did not have enough resources.

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison has told Fairfax radio the issues relate to Labor's time in office but he wants to check it out.

"These are pretty serious allegations out there, and I stress they are allegations at this stage, but we need to determine their veracity," he said.

"So I'm expecting an initial report later today and then I'll be in a position then to take whatever further action is required."

Mr Morrison says ensuring the integrity of the skilled migration program is as important as stopping asylum seeker boats.

"It's an important program for Australia, to have proper, skilled migration to Australia through a process with integrity so people can come the right way and don't rort it," he said.