Second largest drug seizure in Australian history

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sat, 11/29/2014 - 16:47

Saturday, 29 November 2014

Joint media release with the Hon. Tony Abbott MP, Prime Minister, the Hon. Scott Morrison MP, Minister for Immigration and Border Protection and the Hon. Michael Keenan MP, Minister for Justice.

Today is a landmark day in the fight against drugs and organised crime.

The arrest of six men in Sydney overnight for drug importation highlights the commitment of Australian law enforcement and border agencies to crack down on those seeking to profit from drugs and drug addiction.

The Joint Organised Crime Group (JOCG) – comprising of Australian Federal Police, NSW Police, Australian Customs and Border Protection Service, NSW Crime Commission and the Australian Crime Commission – has seized almost 2.8 tonnes of MDMA and methamphetamine, with a street value in excess of $1.5 billion.

This is the second largest drug seizure in Australia's history.

It is a demonstration of the strength of our joint agency operations and the commitment of the Government in stamping out drugs in our community.

The joint operation between Commonwealth and NSW law enforcement and border agencies has put a major dent in the operations of organised crime in Australia.

These agencies have worked tirelessly to ensure these drugs did not reach our streets.

Potentially thousands of lives have been saved today as a result of the excellent work of our police and law enforcement agencies.

The drugs seized would not have been limited to Sydney – they would have had a devastating impact as they were trafficked around the entire country.

These arrests should act as a warning to anyone considering getting involved in importing drugs: it is not worth it and you will be caught.

See: Index of Media Releases

URL:http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm219655.htm
Last update: Saturday, 29 November 2014 at 15:47 AEST