St. George's University and Rutgers University Launch Joint Veterinary Partnership

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 03/18/2015 - 11:56

Qualified Pre-Veterinary Students Will Receive Direct Entry into Veterinary Medical Program

GRENADA , West Indies, March 18, 2015 /CNW/ --  St. George's University and Rutgers University today announced a new pre-veterinary program partnership in which select students with a Bachelor of Science in animal science from Rutgers may gain direct entrance into St. George's School of Veterinary Medicine . This new pathway further demonstrates SGU long standing relationship with the State of New Jersey and academic institutions and hospitals the field of medical and veterinary education. 

"This collaboration only strengthens St. George's University's relationship with another terrific academic institution and with the state of New Jersey ," SGU Chancellor Charles R. Modica said. "Each university has a proud tradition of producing graduates who will make a difference in the lives of animals both big and small, in the US and around the world."

"The Animal Sciences program at Rutgers University has a long history of successfully preparing our students for admission to schools of veterinary medicine," said Dr. Larry Katz , Senior Associate Director, NJ Agricultural Experiment Station, Director, Rutgers Cooperative Extension, and Professor, Animal Sciences.  "This new relationship with St. George's University provides a unique opportunity to offer qualified candidates the exciting opportunity to study veterinary medicine in a stimulating setting alongside students with diverse international backgrounds."

Through the agreement, St. George's University has set aside seats in their upcoming veterinary classes for qualified candidates from Rutgers . To qualify, Rutgers students must earn a grade point average of 3.4 or better on their pre-veterinary courses, and a minimum score of 305 on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Those accepted will complete three years of study at St. George's University and one clinical year at one of SGU's 29 affiliated universities in the United States , United Kingdom , Canada , Australia , and Ireland , upon which time they will earn their Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.

Students who are interested in entering the program must submit their application by May 15 for the August class and October 15 for the January class.

" New Jersey currently doesn't have any contract seats with out-of-state schools, so this is a great opportunity for New Jersey students to have seats reserved at an AVMA accredited school," said Chadd Tindall , DVM SGU '03, Director of the SVM Office of Career Guidance.

The connection with Rutgers joins recent veterinary medical partnerships forged with Long Island University , Springfield College , and the University of St. Thomas . For a complete list of the School of Veterinary Medicine's academic partnerships, visit the SGU website.

About St. George's University
St. George's University is a center of international education, drawing students and faculty from 140 countries to the island of Grenada , in the West Indies, to its programs in medicine, veterinary medicine, public health, science, and business. St. George's is affiliated with educational institutions worldwide, including the United States , the United Kingdom , Canada , Australia , and Ireland . The University's over 14,000 graduates include physicians, veterinarians, scientists, and public health and business professionals across the world. The University programs are accredited and approved by many governing authorities and repeatedly recognized as the best in the region. For more information, visit www.sgu.edu.

About Rutgers University
Rutgers , The State University of New Jersey , is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey's preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766 and celebrating a milestone 250th anniversary in 2016, the university is the eighth-oldest higher education institution in the United States . More than 65,000 students and 24,000 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world. Rutgers is dedicated to teaching that meets the highest standards of excellence, to conducting research that breaks new ground, and to providing services, solutions, and clinical care that help individuals and the local, national, and global communities where they live. Rutgers , The State University of New Jersey , is the nation's eighth oldest institution of higher learning—one of only nine colonial colleges established before the American Revolution—and has a centuries-old tradition of rising to the challenges of each new generation.

Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20150318/182929

Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20130425/NY01734LOGO-a

To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/st-georges-university-and-rutgers-university-launch-joint-veterinary-partnership-300052427.html

SOURCE St. George's University