Teething troubles hit online admission for second time - Times of India

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 06/02/2013 - 19:06

BHOPAL: For Higher Education Department issues related to online admission may not be a hassle-free affair for second year in a row, state universities like DeviAhilyabaiVishwavidyalaya (DAVV) in Indore and Jiwaji University in Gwalior have been successfully implementing it for past 5 years.

After drawing flak for not properly implementing online admission last year, Higher Education Department this year too failed to start online admission on schedule date of May 21. Later, admissions began on May 27.

Higher education department attributed delay in online admission to several colleges forgetting password for accessing online admission. The password was given to each college last year. However, most of the colleges lost password this year when the Higher Education Department announced dates of the online admission.

"We had to issue new login and passwords to colleges, which took time in starting online admission this year," said higher education commissioner VS Niranjan. Hence the delay in starting online admission process, he added.

"Our admission process starts almost three months before announcement of start of the admission process. We take feedback from both students and faculty to improve the system," said MP Online state in charge Abhay Karan. State universities conduct their university teaching departments' online admission through MP Online.

Karan claimed they never failed in starting online admission once dates were announced. Barkatullah University, Bhopal and Rewa University also introduced online admission this year.

DAVV has around 1,000 seats in UTDs where every year it receives around 12,000 applications. Similarly, Jiwaji receives around 4,000 applications for 500 seats.

In last two days, Barkatullah University has received 15 paid admissions. "For a university starting the online admission first time, it's a good figure. Besides, the portal received almost 150 hits in last two days," said Karan. BU has around 1,000 seats in different 24 departments.