University puts off counselling for medical, dental, PG courses

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 05/22/2013 - 18:42

Counselling for postgraduate medical and dental seats for candidates who qualified in the Postgraduate Entrance Test (PGET) conducted by the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS), scheduled to begin on Thursday, has been postponed. This is the immediate fallout of the inconclusive meeting between the State government and private college managements over seat sharing held on Wednesday.

It is a race against time for the RGUHS as a Supreme Court direction makes it mandatory to complete PG medical admissions by May 31.

As many as 7,548 candidates who wrote the PGET conducted by the RGUHS on March 3 qualified for counselling for medical courses, while 1,081 students qualified for the dental counselling.

On Wednesday, a meeting was convened to arrive at a decision on the ratio of seats to be shared between the government and private college managements. However, speaking to reporters after the meeting, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said a decision was yet to be taken.

RGUHS officials present at the meeting said that as the meeting was inconclusive, there was no way the university could conduct the counselling on Thursday. As per the revised academic calendar of the RGUHS, counselling for dental courses was to begin on May 23, followed by counselling for medical courses for candidates with disabilities and general merit candidates from May 24 to 26, and end with counselling for medical courses for in-service category candidates.

The announcement of the PGET results on May 21 was also delayed on account of the Supreme Court embargo due to the Postgraduate National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET-PG) case. The apex court later allowed the various examination authorities to declare the results.

A press release from the university said: “The PGET counselling, which was scheduled to commence from May 23, has been postponed by a day or two. The new dates will be announced shortly. It is advised that the students should make themselves available in Bangalore for counselling at short notice. The correct details about the fee will be published as soon as it is available.”