The regional brand manager sent the following memo to the national brand manager for Sun-Beem Facial Cleanser.“We need to institute a huge publicity campaign for the launch of Sun-Beem’s improved formula. Without an enormous media blitz, including tel

The regional brand manager sent the following memo to the national brand manager for Sun-Beem Facial Cleanser.
“We need to institute a huge publicity campaign for the launch of Sun-Beem’s improved formula. Without an enormous media blitz, including television, radio, internet, and magazine ads, potential new customers will not be aware of our product. And previous customers will not be aware that Sun-Beem’s new, non-carcinogenic formula is on the shelves. The best way to combat the negative publicity Sun-Beem’s old formula received is to fight fire with fire, by using the media’s insatiable interest in any new news about Sun-Beem to sell the new formula. This will erase the negative connotations in the minds of former customers, and will ensure that Sun-Beem is once again the best-selling facial cleanser on the market.”

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The argument states that Sun-Beem Facial Cleanser should have a huge campaign for its launch of the new improved formula. However, this conclusion is based on assumptions that seems to be unsupported. The argument bases its claims on the premise that having a widespread advertising campaign would help to deter the negative publicity from the old formula and increase sales of the new sunscreen.

First, the argument assumes that the news about the new formula would replace the negative mindset that previous customers had of the product. Previous customers who have heard of the harmful effects of the old formula may have develop a negative impression of Sun-Beem's brand. Although Sun Beem has a new product that they claim not to be carcinogenic, customers may have lost faith in the brand and would not dare to buy their new product despite their claims. Therefore, evidence of what the previous customers view of the Sun-Beem's brand name and their perspective of the safety of their products has to be given in order to substantiate the argument.

Likewise, another assumption that Sun-Beem makes is that new customers have not heard about Sun-Beem Facial Cleanser and would need to undergo intense campaigns for new customers to hear about it. People who did to previously purchase Sun-Beem's product may have heard of Sun-Beem through the media, especially since it was featured in the media about its carcinogenic product. Thus, the argument has to give evidence as to whether new customers have heard about Sun-Beem Facial Cleanser.

Lastly, the argument failed to address whether the negative publicity actually affected sales of their facial cleanser. There may have been negative publicity but customers may not have heeded to that negative publicity and may have continued buying Sun-Beem Facial Cleanser. Thus, an intensive advertising campaign may not be as advantageous as customers would continue buying the product despite the negative publicity. The argument has to give evidence whether the sales of the facial cleanser has indeed went down after the negative publicity.

In conclusion, the argument appears at first glance to be logically sound, however there are many weakness to its claims. If the author can give evidence that the previous customers did view the old product negatively and that the new customers did not previously hear of Sun-Beem, as well as, evidence that the sales of the facial cleanser had declined, the argument would be strengthened. Without this evidence, the argument would fail to convince the reader.

Sentence: Previous customers who have heard of the harmful effects of the old formula may have develop a negative impression of Sun-Beem's brand.
Description: A verb 'to have', uninflected present tense, infinitive or is not usually followed by a verb, base: uninflected present, imperative or infinitive
Suggestion: Refer to have and develop