Do you agree or disagree with the following statement Children should begin learning a foreign language as soon as they start school Use specific reasons and examples to support your position

In this century, regarding to learning a foreign language, if anyone has multi-languages, it will be a greatly beneficial skill. Therefore, it comes to the question that should children start learning a foreign language as soon as they start school? Although, some people may disagree, I agree that children should not wait until they are adult in order to learn a new language. Learning a foreign language as the young age has many advantages for the following reasons.

First, human brain ability to learn a new language reduces when growing up. Many research have shown that babies start to memorize and understand a new language automatically after they are born until the age of four. Then this ability will be decreased and adults need more effort to learn a new language compare to babies and young kids. For example, my friend’s son, Elijah, is able to speak both Mandarin and English, even before he started the school, because his father and his mother taught him to speak both languages since he was born. Take myself as another example, nowadays I can understand and speak Italian almost like a native because I used to live in Italy for two years while I was five years old and I learned from the environment along with a private school there. In contrast, I have been studying English since I was in middle school until university, but accent is still Asian accent, not American accent. Moreover, my grammar is horrible compare to Italian, which I studied only two years when I was very young.

Second, young children have less obstacles and distracters from learning a new language than adults. When we are young, we don’t have other responsibilities to worry about. So, young children can concentrate only on studying. However, adults come with many responsibilities such as jobs, family, personal life, so, these could disturb and prevent adult from learning a new language efficiently. For example, when I worked in a province that there are many foreign tourists, I need to speak English very fluent as the company required. Because my English was awful, I tried to learn more at a language school around my neighborhood. But it offered only few times a week and moreover, the schedule conflicted with my work schedule. So, it was hard to keep up the class and learned faster as I wish. Also, when I had serious tasks at work to solve, I was exhausted and hard to concentrate on studying. I wish I could have studied English when I was in early age, so I could have learned well and I could not have had anything to worry about.

In conclusion, since babies and kids get a benefit from nature to learn a new language and they are free from taking care of relatives and work, so learning a new language as soon as children start school is better than waiting to study when being an adult.

It is on top list:
http://www.testbig.com/essay-categories/toefl