2. The president of Grove College has recommended that the college abandon its century-old tradition of all-female education and begin admitting men. Pointing to other all-female colleges that experienced an increase in applications after adopting coeduca

2. The president of Grove College has recommended that the college abandon its century-old tradition of all-female education and begin admitting men. Pointing to other all-female colleges that experienced an increase in applications after adopting coeducation, the president argues that coeducation would lead to a significant increase in applications and enrollment.

However, the director of the alumnae association opposes the plan. Arguing that all-female education is essential to the very identity of the college, the director cites annual surveys of incoming students in which these students say that the school's all-female status was the primary reason they selected Grove. The director also points to a survey of Grove alumnae in which a majority of respondents strongly favored keeping the college all female.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The President of Grove College believes that abandonment of a century-old tradition of all-female education and beginning to invite male students, would result in the increase of the applicants. Such intended shift is opposed by the director of the alumnae association (DA), arguing several points on which the Grove should not take such a strategy. Whether to see that such recommendation is reasonable or not there are several vital questions needed to be answered.

First, the president should ask whether the change in the system would be applicable for the newcomers of the college or it will be introduced to the existing students. As DA argues, most of the of the students’ prime reason for selecting Grove College was that it is based on an all-female system. If the changes are introduced to them while they are studying in that college, the current student might feel discontent and lack of fidelity of college on its principle can make the majority of students leave the college. In this case, it is possible that there is no incidence of increasing of enrollments. However, If the new recruit is going to experience the changes, then there would be no inconsistency as all the prospected students and their family would know in advance that there is no all-female education in that college.

Now, coming to DA argument, does the identity of college only tie with its all-female system? The survey shows that the main goal of female students approaching Grove College was that it is all-female, but it does not mean that the identity of college is only based on its all-female base. The college might also have a good reputation of having excellent faculty members, or the college might offer good funds. It is highly possible that with coeducation many other students would be absorbed to the college whose priority is, for instance, learning sciences rather than the sex of their classmates.

Finally, the DA cites a survey of Grove Alumnae in which majority of respondents favored the remaining of college with its one century-old tradition. DA needs to ask what the reasons of opponents are and also seek the reasons of the proponent of this change. Only because of the majority of alumnae are not in accordance with the changes, does not mean it should not be done. The fallacy here is appealing to the majority, as the majority is also at risk of making mistakes. Thus, to assess the argument, reasons of all positive and negative ideas is required.

In short, as discussed, there are several questions remained unaddressed in the argument above. The answer to each question can direct us to evaluate the recommendation of changing the all-female system to coeducation. Without such answers, the equivalent conditions defy any firm interpretation of the argument.

reasons of all positive and negative ideas is required.
reasons of all positive and negative ideas are required.

argument 3 -- not OK
--------------------