The following appeared in a letter to the school board in the town of Centerville."All students should be required to take the driver's education course at Centerville High School. In the past two years, several accidents in and around Centerville have in

The following appeared in a letter to the school board in the town of Centerville.
"All students should be required to take the driver's education course at Centerville High School. In the past two years, several accidents in and around Centerville have involved teenage drivers. Since a number of parents in Centerville have complained that they are too busy to teach their teenagers to drive, some other instruction is necessary to ensure that these teenagers are safe drivers. Although there are two driving schools in Centerville, parents on a tight budget cannot afford to pay for driving instruction. Therefore an effective and mandatory program sponsored by the high school is the only solution to this serious problem."

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The author begins by describing a problem of teenagers involvement in accidents. He then assumes a reason that the teenagers are unsafe drivers. This supposition is however unsubtanstiated by evidences and hence dubious. Next the author provides an cause- the parents weren't able to provide proper driving eductaion. Finally concluding that the only remedy is a mandatory and sponsored program. However the author neglects to answer some prudent question on which the assumptions are based . Hence the conclusion is erroneous.

Firstly the author mentions that teenagers were involved in several accidents , in the past 2 years. The author doesn't provide any evidence like a survey from which this information could be derived. Moreover the author uses vague terms which adds an element of ambiguity. In exactly how many accidents were the teenagers involved? This is the question the author has to answer in order to corroborate the argument. Also the author doesn't mention past information regarding the accidents. Does the rate of accidents involving teenagers increase? and by how much? Answers to such questions would have validated the claim

Next the author directly assumes that the cause of the involvement of teenagers is the lack of proper driving instructions. But there could also be another reason. Youth population increase could also account for the teenagers association in many accidents. Here the author has to clear the air by answering the question , what exactly is the cause of the accidents? He should also cite evidences to support his hypothesis.

Finally the author concludes that the only way to resolve the issue is to provide mandatory and sponsored course. The conclusion is based on the unclear assumption that the parents can't afford the fees . To make the assumptions more reasonable, the author has to answer certain question. Exactly how many parents can't bear the expense? Creating a whole program just for few parents would be imprudent. Is there no other possible remedy? These are few of the crucial questions that are needed to be addressed in order to validate the conclusion.

As a whole the argument doesn't provide requiste evidences nor provides answers about imperative questions . Due to these reasons the assumtions are faulty. Hence the conclusion, that the only solution is a efficacious and compulsory sponsored program, is untenable .

Sentence: This supposition is however unsubtanstiated by evidences and hence dubious.
Error: unsubtanstiated Suggestion: unsubstantiated

Sentence: Next the author provides an cause- the parents weren't able to provide proper driving eductaion.
Error: eductaion Suggestion: education

Sentence: As a whole the argument doesn't provide requiste evidences nor provides answers about imperative questions .
Error: requiste Suggestion: requisite

Sentence: Due to these reasons the assumtions are faulty.
Error: assumtions Suggestion: assumptions

argument 1 -- not OK