The following appeared in a letter to the school board in the town of Centerville."All students should be required to take the driver's education course at Centerville High School. In the past two years, several accidents in and around Centerville have in

The following appeared in a letter to the school board in the town of Centerville.
"All students should be required to take the driver's education course at Centerville High School. In the past two years, several accidents in and around Centerville have involved teenage drivers. Since a number of parents in Centerville have complained that they are too busy to teach their teenagers to drive, some other instruction is necessary to ensure that these teenagers are safe drivers. Although there are two driving schools in Centerville, parents on a tight budget cannot afford to pay for driving instruction. Therefore an effective and mandatory program sponsored by the high school is the only solution to this serious problem."

In this argument, the author claims that taking the driver's education course at Centerville High School is the only solution to the serious safe problem of students. His conclusion is based on several accidents in and around Centerville concerning teenagers, complaints from parents about their limited time to teach their children to drive as well as tight budgets of families to afford the driving instruction in the other two driving schools. Nonetheless, this argument rests on several unwarranted assumptions that seriously undermine the cogency of its conclusion.

The author mentions several accidents that occurred in and around Centerville and involved teenage drivers can reflect severe safety problem in this region. It is apparently assumed that the teenage drivers’ lack of skills and knowledge is the very cause of these accidents. he should not, however, neglect the possibility that teenagers are merely the victims instead of the perpetrators. Besides, the causes of those accidents might not be their lacking of driving skills but the ignorance of legislation or their innate belligerence which can hardly be modified. Therefore more detailed condition of those accidents ought to be presented so that the safety problem of teenage drivers in Centerville could be better analyzed.

Even if Centerville does have serious problems of teenage drivers, the author should not attribute the obligation of teaching them to drive to other instructions considering their parents’ complaints. He obviously supposes that instructions of driving school is the prime choice based on the facts. Yet there are probably superior alternative solutions. For instance, parents can spare time at weekends to coach their children and promulgate their relationship instead of partying with their friends. Besides, families living in the same community can invite experienced drivers in that region to teach teenagers driving skills. Thus the author should provide more convincing explanation concerning the preclusion of other solutions.

Even though parents can not figure out the solution of teaching their children to drive, the author’s steady preference for high school driving program seems unfounded. It is clearly indicated that compared to driving schools, high schools are capable of providing superior education with lower cost and better effect. Nevertheless, there might be potential unreliability of the program such as unqualified coach and unaffordable pay. So more crucial questions concerning its qualification need to be answered. For example, Can the school hire experienced and qualified teachers to give the lectures? Can the school afford those expenditures? Both of the questions can query the author's solution.

To sum up, this argument suggests the program sponsored by the high school as the only solution to the serious safety problem concerning teenage drivers. Nonetheless, the author bases his conclusion on some unfounded assumptions that cast doubts on its qualification, which requires more careful illustrations.