The following appeared in a memorandum from the manager of WWAC radio station."To reverse a decline in listener numbers, our owners have decided that WWAC must change from its current rock-music format. The decline has occurred despite population growth i

The following appeared in a memorandum from the manager of WWAC radio station.

"To reverse a decline in listener numbers, our owners have decided that WWAC must change from its current rock-music format. The decline has occurred despite population growth in our listening area, but that growth has resulted mainly from people moving here after their retirement. We must make listeners of these new residents. We could switch to a music format tailored to their tastes, but a continuing decline in local sales of recorded music suggests limited interest in music. Instead we should change to a news and talk format, a form of radio that is increasingly popular in our area."

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The above recommendation is presented by manager of WWAC radio station in which he referred to make certain changes in the daily programs broadcasted on radio to enhance number of listeners. Since, a rise in population of that particular region didn't show any hike in number of listeners, thus they decided to re-plan their shows by introducing news and talk shows. On the surface level, the complete discussion seems apt and relevant, yet a closer scrutiny provides various loopholes that make the conclusions flimsy and vague.

First of all, the radio personnel’s rejected any other mode of enjoyment in their daily lives that includes television, access of internet, i-pods, play-stores etc. What if the people are having inclination towards these modes in spite of radio? The time when the listeners used to listen to radio might be accompanied with an absence of all such modes, that make people use this single available mode, but now they might be more allured to other components rather than radio. Along with this, nothing has been mentioned about other radio-stations prevailing at that particular time, their programs, information about their listeners etc. People might be having liking for other stations music, way of communication of radio-jockeys etc. In such a scenario, before making any amendments in their schedule, they need to assess all the related factors that will give valid result.

Furthermore, a rising trend in population has been mentioned that comprises of old aged people. One can't ignore the fact that they might love to remain in serenity of nature in spite of hustle bustle of music, daily tantrums of society or pompous talk shows. They might get allured towards conventional traditional music instead of any other program. So before framing any hypothesis, they need to conduct a survey about liking of old people and then necessary steps must be taken further.

Last but not the least; the manager can't refute the fact that whatever listener they are having right now is due to their rock-music that tempts the youth and adults. Their decision is based on a downfall in sales of recorded music, but people might not be willing to buy music cd from market if they can listen to it on radio, download it from internet etc. Thus to deduce that, a decline in sales of recorded music is the sure indicator of limited interest in music of people is utterly wrong and faulty.

To conclude, the prediction seems dubious since the related factors like other available entertainment modes, liking of each and every strata of public etc have not been widely studied. Had the conclusions be dependent of firm hypothesis with strong foundation of results and data, the above discussion could have been proper and cohesive.

argument 1 -- OK but a little away of the topic. Need to argue against the conclusion: 'Instead we should change to a news and talk format, a form of radio that is increasingly popular in our area.'.

----------------