A recent sales study indicates that consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City restaurants has increased by 30 percent during the past five years. Yet there are no currently operating city restaurants whose specialty is seafood. Moreover, the majority of f

A recent sales study indicates that consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City restaurants has increased by 30 percent during the past five years. Yet there are no currently operating city restaurants whose specialty is seafood. Moreover, the majority of families in Bay City are two-income families, and a nationwide study has shown that such families eat significantly fewer home-cooked meals than they did a decade ago but at the same time express more concern about healthful eating. Therefore, the new Captain Seafood restaurant that specializes in seafood should be quite popular and profitable.
Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be addressed in order to decide whether the conclusion and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to the questions would help to evaluate the conclusion.

The author of this note states that since intake of seafood increased in one restaurant and bulk of families in Bay City have both parents working, new seafood restaurant could become hip and profit-making. A number of questions need to be asked in order to verify the basis for conclusion. First, the author needs to answer how increase of seafood intake in one restaurant reflects on overall demand for seafood. Secondly, what is the relationship between seafood and the idea of eating healthy in the view of target audience? And third, what is the indication that two-income families prefer to consume seafood while eating outside homes?

The Bay City restaurant could become popular just recently, or could have been popular for quite some time and, therefore, people prefer to go there and eat all dishes including seafood. Seafood could be restaurant’s most popular dish. For example, it could be that Bay City restaurant had hired new chef who is particularly good at cooking seafood, hence, seafood dishes became more scrumptious and visitors prefer to order it. Also, the author didn't provide any information in regards to period of time seafood picked up in popularity. Maybe it increased in popularity only one month or one week ago and he didn't provide information what was the consumption level of seafood before that time. In addition, it would be helpful to evaluate writer’s conclusion with statistics for most popular dishes in other restaurants around Bay City.

The writer stated that two-income family concerned with eating more salubrious food; however, he didn't elucidate reasons on why he thinks that seafood is healthy. Many recent reports indicate the increase in mercury level in ocean mammals and fish. Mercury is a poison for human bodies, thus, consuming seafood might not only be unhealthy but downright dangerous. Also, conditions for farmed fish are quite atrocious and level of dangerous bacteria in farmed pond is overwhelming, thus, consumption of farmed fish could potentially undermine people’s health. On top of it, the number of vegetarian people is constantly growing and vegetarians eat no fish or meat at all, preferring to indulge in fruit, vegetable, grains, species and milk products. Reports about health hazards due to seafood consumption and reports about growing number of vegetarian people would certainly weaken author’s conclusion.

From the note one can not infer any information about Bay City, its size, its population, its income. In case, Bay City a big and diverse city, it would have a myriad of different cuisines from all around the world including Italian, Chinese, Mexican and Russian restaurants and cafes. With such a variety of dissimilar places to go, quite possible people would prefer to go out to different places every time. Senses like variety and big cities provide countless entertainments to satisfy any tastes. Therefore, the author needs to provide more concrete evidence for his idea that many of people would prefer seafood dishes over any other kind of cuisine.

As a result, the author need to answer many questions to prove that new restaurant would be popular. The conclusion as it stands now is flawed and unwarranted. He needs to show hard data and in-depth analysis showing that seafood popularity in not accidental and it could be healthy for people. Statistics showing the number of people who prefer to go to seafood restaurant over any other kind of restaurant could be helpful as well. There are many factors that determine popularity of restaurant, such as customer service, ambiance, good management and food. Therefore, food is only one factor and the author needs to deliberately consider all other factors.

argument 1 -- NOT OK. 'the 30 percent increase could be explained by an increase in population of Bay City maybe. '

argument 2 -- NOT OK. 'most Bay city residents are 2 income earners and a nationwide study indicates that such family eat outside most times, it is still yet to be proven that the nationwide behavior is the same as that of Bay city’s'

argument 3 -- NOT OK. 'maybe the sea food consumption mentioned is a result of sea food as complements to other meals'