A recent study reported that pet owners have longer, healthier lives on average than do people who own no pets. Specifically, dog owners tend to have a lower incidence of heart disease. In light of these findings, Sherwood Hospital should form a partnersh

A recent study reported that pet owners have longer, healthier lives on average than do people who own no pets. Specifically, dog owners tend to have a lower incidence of heart disease. In light of these findings, Sherwood Hospital should form a partnership with Sherwood Animal Shelter to institute an adopt-a-dog program. The program would encourage dog ownership for patients recovering from heart disease, which should reduce these patients' chance of experiencing continuing heart problems and also reduce their need for ongoing treatment. As a further benefit, the publicity about the program would encourage more people to adopt pets from the shelter. And that will reduce the incidence of heart disease in the general population.

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

Author in this argument is emphasizing on importance of the pets on the life of the people and promoting this importance can lead people adopting more pet dogs from the shelter. But there are few assumptions which may not hold true unless they are expounded.

It may hold true that some of the pet owners lives an healthy life in comparison to other people as they are more exposed to physical movement and exercise when playing with their pets. It is the assumption of the author that dog owners as less susceptible to the heart disease. But their healthy life cannot be attributed to dogs alone, it may be because of their healthy diet, regular gym or metabolism. Statistical data around this would have strengthen the assumption.

Adopting dogs by the patients recovering from the heart disease is expected to yield the positive results. But it can be a risk for a patients. There is a strong possibility of patient's heart problem may get aggravated due to exertion and can lead to life threatening situations. Also, some of the patients may not be in condition to take care of themselves on their own, it is not justified to expect them to take care of the pets. Author is assuming that existing heart patients are strong enough to bear this exertion, take care of the pets and eventually improve their conditions. If the assumption is untrue, patient may not care for their pets and would led to their misery. So, before giving them pets ownership it is necessary to perform tests on the patients to make sure that they are capable of taking good care of dogs and themselves.

Author is assuming that publicity of the theory relating pets to the fitness of the people will lead people adopting more pets from the shelter. But this is pragmatic and needs more circumstantial evidence to prove and make people believe. If the assumption is proved false this will damage reputation of Sherwood Hospital and Sherwood Animal Shelter. People would trust more if some of the real world examples are mentioned about how pets pivotal role in curing people heart disease.

To conclude, it is necessary to change some of the assumptions to facts to yield better result. Making sure study is performed on the effect of pets on the existing heart disease patients and is published so that the program get momentum and results in success.

Sentence: If the assumption is untrue, patient may not care for their pets and would led to their misery.
Description: A modal auxillary is not usually followed by a verb, past participle
Suggestion: Refer to would and led

argument 2 -- not OK. You referred something new: 'But it can be a risk for a patients. There is a strong possibility of patient's heart problem may get aggravated due to exertion and can lead to life threatening situations.'.

argument 3 -- OK. more: study fails to account that which age group.