In a study of the reading habits of Waymarsh citizens conducted by the University of Waymarsh, most respondents said that they preferred literary classics as reading material. However, a second study conducted by the same researchers found that the type o

In a study of the reading habits of Waymarsh citizens conducted by the University of Waymarsh, most respondents said that they preferred literary classics as reading material. However, a second study conducted by the same researchers found that the type of book most frequently checked out of each of the public libraries in Waymarsh was the mystery novel. Therefore, it can be concluded that the respondents in the first study had misrepresented their reading habits.

In this article, the author cites the results of two researches regarding Waymarsh citizens’ reading habits. In the first research, respondents claim that literary classics are their favorite, while in the second research, it is found out that the most frequently borrowed books from libraries are mystery novels. Based on the apparent contradiction, the author concludes that the first group of respondents lied to the researchers. However, without further evidence, her conclusion can remain, at best, doubtful.

To begin with, she clearly assumes that the two researches are comparable. However, perhaps even if they are conducted by the same group of people, they differ significantly both in time and in their pools of respondents. Maybe the second research was conducted at a much latter time, when mystery novel suddenly becomes in fashion. Perhaps it is because a popular movie has just come out that reproduces the storyline of the novel. Or maybe people who seldom go to libraries consist the majority of the city, and they happen to prefer literary classics more than those who frequent libraries. Therefore, the author needs to provide specific information about the following questions. First, what time are the two researches conducted? What target groups do they specifically consist of? Only if the answers show a clear overlap, can she legitimately compare the two study results.

Moreover, she also assumes, perhaps unwarrantedly, that people value books borrowed from libraries. However, it is well known that many would only borrow books that they are interested enough in reading but not interested enough in keeping. These books, many of which are mystery novels, will be adequate for recreation, but are not commonly regarded as people’s favorite. At least, many of them do not touch one’s heart as much as literary classics would do. If this possibility applies in the article, then it would not be surprising that the first group of respondents would sincerely think that they enjoy literary classics more. Therefore, the author needs to survey deeper regarding people’s preference between bought books and borrowed books. If she can successfully show that people also take seriously books they borrow from libraries, then she can strengthen her accusation toward the first group of people.

Finally, she makes yet another problematic assumption that literary classics do not include mystery novels. However, many mystery novels, such as Lord of the Ring and the Harry Potter Series, can undoubtedly be included in the lists of classics that influenced the entire world. Perhaps, the most frequently borrowed mystery novels happen to be these books, and the favorite literary classics of many of the first group of respondents also happen to be these books. If so, then no one really has misrepresented herself in the survey. Therefore, she author needs to ask the respondents more specific questions regarding their favored books. Otherwise, the apparent paradox may actually not be a conflict at all.

Overall, unless she provides more evidence to verify all above assumptions, she should not rashly accuse the respondents of lying.

argument 2 -- not OK. you don't guess by your own: However, it is well known that many would only borrow books that they are interested enough in reading but not interested enough in keeping.

argument 3 -- not OK. From the statement, they are in different categories.