"The surface of a section of Route 101, paved just two years ago by Good Intentions Roadways, is now badly cracked with a number of dangerous potholes. In another part of the state, a section of Route 40, paved by Appian Roadways more than four years ago,

"The surface of a section of Route 101, paved just two years ago by Good Intentions Roadways, is now badly cracked with a number of dangerous potholes. In another part of the state, a section of Route 40, paved by Appian Roadways more than four years ago, is still in good condition. In a demonstration of their continuing commitment to quality, Appian Roadways recently purchased state-of-the-art paving machinery and hired a new quality-control manager. Therefore, I recommend hiring Appian Roadways to construct the access roads for all our new shopping malls. I predict that our Appian access roads will not have to be repaired for at least four years."

The argument in which all roads paved by Appian Roadways won't need to be repaired may seem tenable at first glance. The author makes a valid argument, one that it would be correct, if its premise be true. However, his conclusion relies on assumptions for which there is no relevant evidence and it uses terms that lack definitions.

First, the author asserts that Appian Roadways acts better in comparison with Good Intentions Roadways. While, his reason doesn't seem cogent so that it can be entirely wrong. Road paved by Good Intentions might be used more than the road paved by Appian Roadways or it might be damaged by the effluent and waste water flowing over it or even by the neighboring functions. On contrary, the road paved by Appian Roadway may not use one during four years and it may be in unpopulated place of the city. Then, it is not possible to make a judge on the quality of the work just by one case. The author should make more cases in support of Appian Roadways action.

Second, according to the argument, Appian Roadways can act better because of purchasing a new paving machine and hiring new manager. However, it is not cogent enough to select the company as the best one. Having manager for controlling the quality and stylish machines are qualified and obligatory for every company. The narrator could strengthen his point, if he provided more supported reasons for his claim.

Finally, the author concludes that all roads which are paved by Appian Roadways will remain and endure at least for four years. This prediction can be quietly wrong, because the paved road can be undergone various factors which can cause more damages. Suppose, in the four years, it will be hurt because of the large transportation, or traffic. Likewise, the company might have no experience on paving road for the shopping mall, as its instruction is different from the roads for driving.

As a result, the conclusion on the work quality of Appian Roadways in based on just on case without more researches on the other works of the company. The author hasn’t answered for what scientific reason the company is superior to the other, or what technique it uses that the other companies don't. Although, the premises mentioned here can be true, the author fails to provide more convincing cases and the argument appears relies on the assumptions without conclusive supported reasons.