Two years ago, radio station WCQP in Rockville decided to increase the number of call-in advice programs that it broadcast; since that time, its share of the radio audience in the Rockville listening area has increased significantly. Given WCQP's recent s

Two years ago, radio station WCQP in Rockville decided to increase the number of call-in advice programs that it broadcast; since that time, its share of the radio audience in the Rockville listening area has increased significantly. Given WCQP's recent success with call-in advice programming, and citing a nationwide survey indicating that many radio listeners are quite interested in such programs, the station manager of KICK in Medway recommends that KICK include more call-in advice programs in an attempt to gain a larger audience share in its listening area.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The author of the statement above recommends that to gain more audiences, the KICK Radio Station should broadcast more numbers of the call-in advice programs. This conclusion is grounded in a comparison between the KICK and WCQP Radio Station; the latter seemingly gained bigger audience share by increasing the number of call-in advice programs. To further buttress the conclusion, the author cites a nationwide survey showing that people are inclined to listen such programs. There are several vital questions which need answers to illustrate the argument.

First, the author needs to ask whether the increased number of audiences of WCQP is exclusively because of the launching call-in advice programs. As the author says, the increase of the audience is happened in a two-year period. In such a time, it is highly possible that due to other causes such an increase resulted among the audiences of WCQP. WCQP might invest in a huge advertisement to attract more people to its channel. Moreover, the call-in advice programs might be broadcast by an excellent showman who won the attention of audiences, while the program itself might not be interesting enough. The fact that other alternatives have a significant part in attracting more people to listen to this radio channel makes the recommendation untenable.

Secondly, the survey mentions that “many” radio listeners are interested in call-in advice programs. The author needs to question the age, jobs, sex of the respondents to ascertain which category they belong to. Otherwise the survey is ambiguous. The author needs also to ask whether the national survey reflects the idea of the local people. It is totally possible that national results are not consistent with the local people.

Finally, as already might be channels broadcasting the same programs, the author needs to ask whether people are saturated with listening to other channels or still they are interested in new call-in advice programs. It is possible that they put their time to listen to the famous call-in advice programs and do not care about the other channels. Moreover, the author needs to ask what the taste of the people of Medway is to provide them what they want. People in Medway might prefer listening to national news or local weather news instead of listening to advice of other people. Moreover, current audiences are used to certain programs, the writer should also ask that people would like the shift or not. It is possible that even a decline on the audience happens because of not being adapted to the new style of the programs.

In short, regarding all the unaddressed questions, the recommendation to use more call-in advice programs is not tenable. The answers to enumerated questions would lead us to evaluate the conclusion.

argument 3 -- need to argue against the conclusion:
'the station manager of KICK in Medway recommends that KICK include more call-in advice programs in an attempt to gain a larger audience share in its listening area.'

here goes the argument:
The programs doesn't guarantee a larger audience share in its listening area.