Argument 5 The following appeared in a letter to the editor of the Balmer Island Gazette One Balmer island where mopeds serve as a popular form of transportation the population increases to 100 000 during the summer months To reduce the number of accident

Argument(5): The following appeared in a letter to the editor of the Balmer Island Gazette:
One Balmer island, where mopeds serve as a popular form of transportation, the population increases to 100,000 during the summer months. To reduce the number of accidents involving mopeds and pedestrians, the town council of Balmer Island should limit the number of mopeds rented by the island’s moped rental companies from 50 per day to 25 per day during the summer season. By limiting the number of rentals, the town council will attain the 50 percent annual reduction in moped accidents that was achieved last year on the neighboring island of Seaville, when Seaville’s town council enforced similar limits on moped rentals.

Merely based on unfounded assumption and dubious evidence, the statement draws a conclusion that by limiting the number of moped rentals, the town council will has a reduction of the town population. At first glance, the author’s argument appears to be somewhat convincing, but further reflection reveals that the argument omits some substantial concerns that should be addressed, thus, not cogent enough.

To start with, the argument assumes too hastily that the limitation of moped rentals will necessarily result in the decrease of the number of accidents. The accidents happened involved both mopeds and pedestrians, hence, to reduce moped number only can not solve underlying problem. Moreover, accidents have several deciding factors, perhaps the big amount of accidents resulted from the residents’ careless mainly, or perhaps pedestrians involved played a more vital role in them. This argument is unacceptable unless there is compelling evidence to support the connection between the accidents happened and the number of mopeds.

In addition, the arguer’s recommendation relies on the shaky presumption that moped rental is the most prevalent way for habitants on the island to get access to mopeds. Based on this supposition, the author argues that the limitation of the island’s rental companies will be an effective choice. However, there is absolutely no proof provided that people on this island tend to rent mopeds instead of buy it. To strengthen his/her argument, the author would benefit from a specific statement about by which channel residents get their mopeds usually.

Finally, the author claims that this conduction will have a same outcome with its neighboring island of Seaville. Yet the assumption is unwarranted because things rarely remain the same in both different time and location. To clarify, the author assumes without justification that the background conditions are same at Seaville’s town last year and Balmer’s town this year. There are likely all kinds of differences between this two towns, such as the population, the popularity of mopeds and operation of moped rental companies.

To sum up, this arguer fails to substantiate its claim that accidents on the island will be cut down by the limitation of moped rental companies, because the evidence cited in the analysis do not lend strong support to what the argument maintains. Without additional information, however, we should be wary about accepting the truth of the argument’s recommendation.

Sentence: Merely based on unfounded assumption and dubious evidence, the statement draws a conclusion that by limiting the number of moped rentals, the town council will has a reduction of the town population.
Description: The word will is not usually used as a noun, singular, common
Suggestion: Refer to will

Sentence: However, there is absolutely no proof provided that people on this island tend to rent mopeds instead of buy it.
Description: The fragment island tend to is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace tend with verb, past tense
Description: The token of is not usually followed by a verb, base: uninflected present, imperative or infinitive
Suggestion: Refer to of and buy