Argument The following was posted on an Internet real estate discussion site Of the two leading real estate firms in our town Adams Realty and Fitch Realty Adams is clearly superior Adams has 40 real estate agents In contrast Fitch has 25 many of whom wor

Argument:
The following was posted on an Internet real estate discussion site.
"Of the two leading real estate firms in our town—Adams Realty and Fitch Realty—Adams is clearly superior. Adams has 40 real estate agents. In contrast, Fitch has 25, many of whom work only part-time. Moreover, Adams' revenue last year was twice as high as that of Fitch, and included home sales that averaged $168,000, compared to Fitch's $144,000. Homes listed with Adams sell faster as well: ten years ago, I listed my home with Fitch and it took more than four months to sell; last year, when I sold another home, I listed it with Adams, and it took only one month. Thus, if you want to sell your home quickly and at a good price, you should use Adams.

The argument mentioned above seems to be biased towards Adams, without really paying attention to the complete details. The argument starts with an affirmatively one-sided argument -Adams is clearly superior. However, if we dig into the facts there can be more interpretation to what is mentioned in the passage.

The Author starts with a premise that there are only two leading real estate firms in the town. In reality, there could be more which have not been considered for evaluation. The passage tells that there are head count of Adams is greater than head count of Fitch, and employees of Fitch work part time. Greater head count doesn’t assure quality and the customer satisfaction of the clientele. In addition, one cannot rule out the facts that since the agents of Fitch, who work part time, have a better network since they work on multiple jobs. This could be advantageous for Fitch since it has a diverse network. Also, part time may also indicate that their operating costs are less, thereby charging fewer amounts for their services.

The passage seems to confuse sales and revenues with profits. Fitch could be a relatively younger firm, and that could be a reason for greater revenue of Adams. Nevertheless, the percentage profits are a true measure of the success of the firm than the sales revenue. The greater average cost of homes could indicate that the Adams have huge operating costs which are levied on the purchasing party, as mentioned earlier.

The author mentions his experience with both the firms for selling a house. The situations which were prevalent 10 years ago are not the same as current situations. There could be more demand now, than what was there 10 years ago, which might be the reason for the disparity in the number of months to sell a house. In addition, there is no mention if the houses in both cases are of comparable value.

The author seems to have a disposition for Adams and hence details with a biased motif and obfuscated arguments. Hence for the above cited reasons, there is no strong reason to believe that Adams is superior to Fitch.