You are hereThe CoffeeCart beverage and food service located in the lobby of our main office building is not earning enough in sales to cover its costs, and so the cart may discontinue operating at GBS. Given the low staff morale, as evidenced by the increase in the

The CoffeeCart beverage and food service located in the lobby of our main office building is not earning enough in sales to cover its costs, and so the cart may discontinue operating at GBS. Given the low staff morale, as evidenced by the increase in the

ambarish55's picture

By ambarish55 - Posted on 11 October 2012

The CoffeeCart beverage and food service located in the lobby of our main office building is not earning enough in sales to cover its costs, and so the cart may discontinue operating at GBS. Given the low staff morale, as evidenced by the increase in the number of employees leaving the company, the loss of this service could present a problem, especially since the staff morale questionnaire showed widespread dissatisfaction with the snack machines. Therefore, supervisors should remind the employees in their group to patronize the cart --after all, it was leased for their convenience so that they would not have to walk over to the cafeteria on breaks.

The argument that CoffeeCart beverages and food service may discontinue operating at GBS Company due to inadequate sales omits some important concerns that must be addressed to substantiate the argument. The statement that follows, reasons out the problems that the employees face and gives some evidence to support its claims. Further, the author concludes by giving a solution that the supervisor needs to remind the employees in the group to patronize the cart. This alone does not constitute a logical argument and it certainly does not provide support or proof to the main argument.

Most conspicuously, the argument does not address for how long the CoffeeCart is not earning enough to cover its costs. If it is a newly started venture then it will definitely take time to break even. The author needs to consider a pattern of sales data before drawing conclusions.

First, the argument assumes that the staff has a low morale and so there is an increase in the number of employees leaving the company. In a weak attempt to support its claim, the argument gives the evidence of the staff morale questionnaire which showed widespread dissatisfaction with the snack machine. There is a possibility that all other beverage and food are still preferred by the employees and only the snack machines need to be replaced.

Second, the argument never addresses the proper reason for the increase in number of employees leaving the company. It is quite possible that a rival firm is paying more salary and offering a lot many incentives to attract the employees.

Finally, if the staff is imposed to patronize the cart which will further increase their dissatisfaction. If the cart was leased for the convenience of the employees, the company needs to allocate a fund for proper maintenance of the cart. The argument does not address what is the root cause of the problem causing the sales to drop. There is also a possibility that a minor change can actually put the business back to profit, say for e.g. revision in the rate of items offered in the menu.

Because the argument leaves out several key issues, it is not sound or persuasive. If it included the items discussed above instead of solely concluding to shut down operations, the argument would have been far more through and convincing.

ramatfrij france

User comment: I just want to chat in English for a while to improve my speaking skills

MiguelHomy Bangladesh

Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed. salmankarani
Issue Type- Educators should find out what students want included in the curriculum and then offer it to them. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the posi fdrg9iit
In a study of the reading habits of Waymarsh citizens conducted by the University of Waymarsh, most respondents said that they preferred literary classics as reading material. However, a second study conducted by the same researchers found that the type nivi1991
Students should memorize facts only after they have studied the ideas, trends, and concepts that help explain those facts. Students who have learned only facts have learned very little. - GRE Issue 14 testwen sticky icon
Workers in the small town of Leeville take fewer sick days than workers in the large city of Masonton, 50 miles away. Moreover, relative to population size, the diagnosis of stress-related illness is proportionally much lower in Leeville than in Masonton. anapvdutra
"The desire of corporations to maximize profits creates conflict with the general welfare of the nation at large. " harsha sticky icon
Claim: The best test of an argument is its ability to convince someone with an opposing viewpoint.Reason: Only by being forced to defend an idea against the doubts and contrasting views of others does one really discover the value of that idea.Write a res ebwet
Competition for high grades seriously limits the quality of learning at all levels of education.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In dev Agata sticky icon
Educators should base their assessment of students' learning not on students' grasp of facts but on the ability to explain the ideas, trends, and concepts that those facts illustrate. nakul123 sticky icon
An ailing patient should have easy access to his or her doctor’s record of treating similarly afflicted patients. Through gaining such access, the ailing patient may better determine whether the doctor is competent to treat that medical condition. NewNewNew

Although innovations such as video, computers, and the Internet seem to offer schools improved methods for instructing students, these technologies all too often distract from real learning. - GRE Issue 119 six11
"To serve the housing needs of our students, Buckingham College should build a number of new dormitories. Buckingham's enrollment is growing and, based on current trends, will double over the next 50 years, thus making existing dormitory space inadequate. saharpouya
GMAT Argument Writing Sample 62 essayking
The greatness of individuals can be decided only by those who live after them, not by their contemporaries.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you t utkarshece
Twenty years ago, Dr. Field, a noted anthropologist, visited the island of Tertia. Using an observation-centered approach to studying Tertian culture, he concluded from his observations that children in Tertia were reared by an entire village rather than saharpouya
GMAT Issue Writing Sample 5 essayking
Television is entirely democratic in that its content is controlled by what the people want. angel
Issue topic:"Some people believe it is often necessary, even desirable, for political leaders to withold information from the public. Others believe that the public has a right to be fully informed." s
The well-being of a society is enhanced when many of its people question authority.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and s nargess1981
People should undertake risky action only after they have carefully considered its consequences. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. maxchen

As we acquire more knowledge, things do not become more comprehensible, but more complex and mysterious.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take nbkru2f sticky icon
In a study of the reading habits of Waymarsh citizens conducted by the University of Waymarsh, most respondents said they preferred literary classics as reading material. However, a second study conducted by the same researchers found that the type of boo nbkru2f sticky icon
Claim: It is no longer possible for a society to regard any living man or woman as a hero.Reason: The reputation of anyone who is subjected to media scrutiny will eventually be diminished.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree nbkru2f sticky icon
Claim: Major policy decisions should always be left to politicians and other government experts. Chengyuan Cai sticky icon
The following appeared in an e-mail sent by the marketing director of the Classical Shakespeare Theatre of Bardville."Over the past ten years, there has been a 20 percent decline in the size of the average audience at Classical Shakespeare Theatre product nbkru2f
Students should always question what they are taught instead of accepting it passively.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing a nbkru2f
The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of a large, highly diversified company."Ten years ago our company had two new office buildings constructed as regional headquarters for two different regions. The buildings were erected by two differe nbkru2f sticky icon
"It takes a village to raise a child. The education of our children is the task of community as a whole, not merely the province of the teachers and local school administrators". shraddha kc
Some people believe that in order to be effective, political leaders must yield to public opinion and abandon principle for the sake of compromise. Others believe that the most essential quality of an effective leader is the ability to remain consistently koser_2 sticky icon
The following appeared in a memo from the new vice president of Sartorian, a company that manufactures men's clothing."Five years ago, at a time when we had difficulty obtaining reliable supplies of high-quality wool fabric, we discontinued production of nbkru2f

The best test of an argument is the argument's ability to convince someone with an opposing viewpoint. saharpouya
A recent sales study indicates that consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City restaurants has increased by 30 percent during the past five years. Yet there are no currently operating city restaurants whose specialty is seafood. Moreover, the majority of f nbkru2f
There is now evidence that the relaxed pace of life in small towns promotes better health and greater longevity than does the hectic pace of life in big cities. Businesses in the small town of Leeville report fewer days of sick leave taken by individual w nbkru2f
"A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situations (such as an encounter with an unfamiliar monkey), firstborn infant monkeys dreamlizz

Sentence: The argument that CoffeeCart beverages and food service may discontinue operating at GBS Company due to inadequate sales omits some important concerns that must be addressed to substantiate the argument.
Description: The fragment sales omits some is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace omits with verb, base: uninflected present, imperative or infinitive

Read this link to understand What is sentence length SD:
http://www.testbig.com/question/questions-about-essay-e-rater