Competition for high grades seriously limits the quality of learning at all levels of education.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In dev

Competition for high grades seriously limits the quality of learning at all levels of education.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

Grading system is utilized worldwide at all levels of education. As far as quality of grades determines the admission to schools, competition in achieving high grades is inevitable among students. Oftentimes, instead of cooperation between students to acquire knowledge, concealing of information is observed in order to decelerate others' accomplishments. Although some people claim that competition motivates students to excel in classroom, it is the curiosity and exchanging arguments with others that is pivotal for the knowledge to advance.

Taking K-12 education first, in order to achieve high marks, pupils have to study hard. It is true, of course that smarter student needs less time to prepare for a given task than the less talented one. But each class consists of and average who will have to compete with each others within the limited time for preparations. Sometimes cramming for a test or exam, and negligence of actual subject comprehension, is necessary to achieve “the best” results. Is there any time left for satisfying the curiosity of a developing mind and reading beyond the "minimum" required to achieve high grade? Will the student be able to apply acquired knowledge without its deep understanding? Negative answers to this questions suggest that the quality of learning for good grades only, would be greatly diminished in comparison with curiosity driven research.

If an individual likes to pursue higher degree, the situation is not much different. Grades achieved during undergraduate studies will determine the admission to graduate studies or will serve as a measure for a potential employer. As far as higher education is concerned, learning to be a better specialist in the field of endeavor should get preference over learning for the sake of grades. Desirable abilities such as application of knowledge and ability of logical thinking cannot be possessed while cramming for the exams under the pressure of possessing high grades. Some may say that competing for high grades motivates others to keep up with the best. It is discussion among students and exchange of arguments, however, and not pure rivalry that would improve greatly the knowledge of disputants.

To recapitulate, stress accompanied with attaining high grades is adverse to learning and personal development. Only relaxed environment can trigger logical thinking as well as absorption of knowledge with ease and for a lifetime. Ideally, teachers should kindle curiosity and joy of learning among students. Instead of competition, discussion and mutual help would most probably lead to deep understanding of topic. Yet, what is more educative than explanation of acquired knowledge to others and answering thoroughly and thoughtfully all the questions they may ask?