The following appeared in the editorial section of a local newspaper:“The inflow of immigrant workers into our community has put a downward pressure on wages. In fact, the average compensation of unskilled labor in our city has declined by nearly 10% over

The following appeared in the editorial section of a local newspaper:

“The inflow of immigrant workers into our community has put a downward pressure on wages. In fact, the average compensation of unskilled labor in our city has declined by nearly 10% over the past 5 years. Therefore, to protect our local economy, it is essential to impose a moratorium on further immigration.”

The argument that the inflow of immigrant workers has put a downward pressure on wages raises some important concerns that must be addressed in order to substantiate the argument. In the statement that follows the author provides some facts to support his claim. The argument states that because of this inflow of immigrant workers the compensation of unskilled labor has declined in the city by 10 percent over the past 5 years. Further, the author provides a solution to the problem as to impose a moratorium on further immigration to protect the local economy, this does not constitute a logical a...