The following appeared as a letter to the editor from a Central Plaza store owner."Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Central

The following appeared as a letter to the editor from a Central Plaza store owner.

"Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Central Plaza store owners believe that the decrease in their business is due to the number of skateboard users in the plaza. There has also been a dramatic increase in the amount of litter and vandalism throughout the plaza. Thus, we recommend that the city prohibit skateboarding in Central Plaza. If skateboarding is prohibited here, we predict that business in Central Plaza will return to its previously high levels."

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The author supports the prohibition of skateboarding in Central Plaza in order to enhance the economic condition. To prove that the prohibition is beneficial, he mentions the reduction of the number of shoppers, the increasing popularity of skateboarding, and increase in the amount of litter and vandalism, however, she is absolutely unable to show that these phenomena are in connection with other.

First of all, the store owner cites the reduction in the numbers of shoppers and in the letter, tries to find ways to improve businesses in the area, however it is not clear at all that the decrease of shoppers has anything to do with the bad condition of business in Central Plaza. It is entirely possible that while the business has been improving in that area, some successful shop could win the competition, hence other shoppers have been bankrupted. Hence, we need some more information that shows the reduction of the number of shoppers is representative of a economic crisis there.

Secondly, the author mentions the increase in the popularity of skateboarding as the factor of the above-mentioned reduction, but she does not provide any information that there is a causal relationship between these two. In fact, common sense tells me that skateboarding has gained more and more popularity in all regions, regardless the economic situation of these regions. Therefore, we need some information that shows us the cause and effect relationship between these phenomena.

Finally, the letter mentions a dramatic increase in the amount of litter and vandalism. Probably, the fact can be regarded as a factor in the reduction of customers and eventually the number of shoppers in Central Plaza, but first we need some survey showing the causal relationship between them. It is entirely possible that despite vandalism, the economics is flourishing. Secondly, even we accept that vandalism is the cause of economic problem, it is not clear in the letter that how skateboarding contribute to vandalism. So, we should be informed that skateboarding in the area results in vandalism. Also, it must be proved that the prohibition of skateboarding deters vandalism. for all that we know, vandals can still make problems without skateboarding.

In sum the letter cannot prove any of its main points, i.e. the relationship between the reduction in numbers of shoppers and the economic problem of the area, between the the before-mentioned decrease and increasing popularity of skateboarding, and finally, between skateboarding and vandalism. It is necessary that the author add information to prove that there are actually such relationships.

Sentence: In sum the letter cannot prove any of its main points, i.e. the relationship between the reduction in numbers of shoppers and the economic problem of the area, between the the before-mentioned decrease and increasing popularity of skateboarding, and finally, between skateboarding and vandalism.
Description: The token the is not usually followed by an article
Suggestion: Refer to the and the

Sentence: It is necessary that the author add information to prove that there are actually such relationships.
Description: The fragment author add information is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace add with verb, present tense, 3rd person singular