The following appeared as part of an article in a business magazine."A recent study rating 300 male and female Mentian advertising executives according to the average number of hours they sleep per night showed an association between the amount of sleep t

The following appeared as part of an article in a business magazine.

"A recent study rating 300 male and female Mentian advertising executives according to the average number of hours they sleep per night showed an association between the amount of sleep the executives need and the success of their firms. Of the advertising firms studied, those whose executives reported needing no more than 6 hours of sleep per night had higher profit margins and faster growth. These results suggest that if a business wants to prosper, it should hire only people who need less than 6 hours of sleep per night."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The argument with conclusion that a firm should hire only people with sleeping less than 6 hours per night in order to prosper is weak. It is bases on two premises that there are association between the amount of sleep the executives need and the success of their firms according to a recent study rating 300 executives, and that, in the study, those whose executives reported needing no more than 6 hours of sleep per night had higher profit margins and faster growth. However, it is logically flawed. There are many unstated assumptions, as explained in the following paragraphs.

First, the assumption that the the number of samples in the study is large enough to deduce the correct answer, that is 300. In some cases, such as in one which the total number of members is 1000, 300 is a large number, with a rate 30 percent. If it is this kinds of cases, the study result might be valid. However, there are many other examples that the number is pretty small, say with members of 10000, rating 3 percent. The hidden assumption ought to be stated so as to confirm the final deduction.

Second, the assumption that all the firms have the same conditions. As we all know, in a good comparasion each condition should be the same except the one that is valued. The missed assumption is required in order to make all the result sensible. If it is the case, then the argument have a good chance to be right. However, if it is wrong, every thing in the argument may be false.

Third, the assumption that the result in the study can be conducted to employees other than advertising executives. It can be true, and if it is, the final conclusion that using the consequence to advise employors to shape their business with people who need less than 6 hours of sleep per night will be certified. In spite of it, this condition may fail. The wishes of advertising executives might not the same with those of other worker, so as the capabilities, eduation, etc. Maybe the product designer require more than ten hours a day to be creative and whimsical. If it is the case, the final conclusion is worth doubt.

In the end, the argument is rather weak. However, if the assumptions mentioned above are stated, the argument will be greatly strengthened. Hence, though convincing for some sense, it is hard to be accepted.

Sentence: It is bases on two premises that there are association between the amount of sleep the executives need and the success of their firms according to a recent study rating 300 executives, and that, in the study, those whose executives reported needing no more than 6 hours of sleep per night had higher profit margins and faster growth.
Description: The token is is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to is and bases
Description: The fragment association between the is not usually preceded by are
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace are with is

Sentence: First, the assumption that the the number of samples in the study is large enough to deduce the correct answer, that is 300.
Description: The token the is not usually followed by an article
Suggestion: Refer to the and the

Sentence: If it is this kinds of cases, the study result might be valid.
Description: A determiner/pronoun, singular is not usually followed by a noun, plural, common
Suggestion: Refer to this and kinds

Sentence: The wishes of advertising executives might not the same with those of other worker, so as the capabilities, eduation, etc. Maybe the product designer require more than ten hours a day to be creative and whimsical.
Description: The fragment designer require more is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace require with verb, past tense

Sentence: It can be true, and if it is, the final conclusion that using the consequence to advise employors to shape their business with people who need less than 6 hours of sleep per night will be certified.
Error: employors Suggestion: employers

Error: eduation Suggestion: education