The following appeared as part of an article in a business magazine."A recent study rating 300 male and female Mentian advertising executives according to the average number of hours they sleep per night showed an association between the amount of sleep t

The following appeared as part of an article in a business magazine.
"A recent study rating 300 male and female Mentian advertising executives according to the average number of hours they sleep per night showed an association between the amount of sleep the executives need and the success of their firms. Of the advertising firms studied, those whose executives reported needing no more than 6 hours of sleep per night had higher profit margins and faster growth. These results suggest that if a business wants to prosper, it should hire only people who need less than 6 hours of sleep per night."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The argument given is from an business magazine article based on some study of employees sleeping hours & success of his or her frim.The author says that in that study 300 male and female executives were studied and they reported their sleeping hours. Of those studied, people who require only 6 hours of sleep gave more success to their firms. and therefore author recommends other companies to recruit only such kind of executives. The argument is mainly based on many stated and unstated assumptions; lacks in providing proper evidence and therefore fails to make the conclusion cogent.

Firstly, the author mentioned that in that study average number of sleeping hours were counted and assumed that all of them slept for same hours. The study shows only average hours of sleep per night which means some of the 300 people might be sleeping for more than 6 hours and some less. The author should have given number of people who slept for 6 hours and who did not. So such assumption exacerbates the argument and the conclusion.

In the same manner, author made another assumption in next sentences that the firm with people sleeping for no more than 6 hours are getting higher profits because of the executives work more and sleep less in night. There is possibility that the firm might be having more efficient method to do work in less time and in mean time the employees do some other things of their own. So such assumption weakens the recommendation of the author and the reliability of study also.

Furthermore, the author suggests other companies to recruit only those employees who require 6 hours of sleep to increase their profit margin. In this the author has assumed that the same thing will work for all companies also. There are many types of business and every business has its own kind of special requirement. So the authors recommendation may or may not be effective for all firms and therefore no company will be said wise to accept such faulty recommendation.

On conclusion, the argument is majorly based on flawed assumptions made by author and fails to present important statistics. It does have some minute statistical data presented like total number of executives studied, but lacks in presenting major data like how many people slept for 6 hours and how many for more which could have strengthened the argument.

Sentence: On conclusion, the argument is majorly based on flawed assumptions made by author and fails to present important statistics.
Error: majorly Suggestion: mainly