The following appeared in a petition by Classen University students to the school's administration. The purpose of higher education is to prepare students for the future, but Classen students are at a serious disadvantage in the competition for post-coll

The above statement states that the Classen university's students are asking the school's administration to cut-back their breadth requirements. After reading the petition, it seems to be specious because, it does not provide enough details about the reasons for the petition. It just states the problem but does not give the reasons as to why they say it is a problem. Hence, the statement seems to be specious.

The students states that the university's breadth requirements are burdensome. The author should have said what are the university's breadth requirements. This information could have helped to make a better judgment because depending on what the requirements are the administration would be able to decide about the issue. If these requirements were helpful for the students then there would be no point in cutting back on them.

Secondly, the author does not give details about the different programs offered by the university. Maybe, the university should introduce more programs so that students can learn and prepare for the interviewers. Maybe other universities are offering programs where more job opportunities are available. So, the university should give details about what programs they are offering and what kind of jobs are being offered.
Since, the time spent is just fifteen percent, it does not matter much. Also, some students might want to take courses outside their major, because they think that it will help them to know outside their major which in-turn help in the job placement. Because, having multiple skills will be an advantage in the job placement. Eventually every student will take advance courses in their majors. The author should give enough details about the breadth requirements.

Hence, due to all the above reasons, the above statement is said to be fallacious and needs to be well reasoned.

Sentence: The above statement states that the Classen university's students are asking the school's administration to cut-back their breadth requirements.
Description: An adjective is not usually followed by a determiner, possessive
Suggestion: Refer to cut-back and their

Sentence: The students states that the university's breadth requirements are burdensome.
Description: The word states is not usually used as a verb, present tense, 3rd person singular
Suggestion: Refer to states

Error: cut-back Suggestion: cutback

Sentence: Also, some students might want to take courses outside their major, because they think that it will help them to know outside their major which in-turn help in the job placement.
Error: in-turn Suggestion: in turn