The following appeared in a recommendation from the president of Amburg's Chamber of Commerce. "Last October the city of Belleville installed high intensity lighting in its central business district, and vandalism there declined almost immediately. The c

The following appeared in a recommendation from the president of Amburg's Chamber of Commerce.

"Last October the city of Belleville installed high intensity lighting in its central business district, and vandalism there declined almost immediately. The city of Amburg has recently begun police patrols on bicycles in its business district but the rate of vandalism there remains constant. Since high intensity lighting is apparently the most effective way to combat crime, we should install such lighting throughout Amburg. By reducing crime in this way, we can revitalize the declining neighborhoods in our city." - GRE Argument 90

Amburg's Chamber-of-Commerce president has recommended high-intensity lighting throughout Amburg as the best means of reducing crime and revitalizing city neighbor hoods. In support of this recommendation the president points out that when Belleville took similar action vandalism declined there almost immediately. The president also points out that since Amburg's police began patrolling on bicycles the incidence of vandalism has remained unchanged. The president's argument is flawed in several critical respects.

First, the argument rests on the unsupported assumption that in Belleville the...