The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company. “According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than in an

The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company.

“According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than in any other year. And yet the percentage of positive reviews by movie reviewers about specific Super Screen movies actually increased during the past year. Clearly, the contents of these reviews are not reaching enough of our prospective viewers. Thus, the problem lies not with the quality of our movies but with the public’s lack of awareness that movies of good quality are available. Super Screen should therefore allocate a greater share of its budget next year to reaching the public through advertising.”

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

In the memo advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company (SSMPC) claims that the discrepancy between the number of people who attend their products and the positive views of critics can be attributed to lack of effective advertisements and unattracted attention of population. Thus, the company should allocate a greater amount of money on next year's advertisements in order to alleviate this problem. However, the claim is unsubstantiated and rises some questions about its legitimacy.

First of all, the director should provide general statistics about past year box offices to show whether the so-called drop in number of movie attendants is a general problem or just has happened to SSMPC. It is possible that due to an economical crisis people generally express less inclination to spend money on movies than before.

Secondly, the memo should include information about the movies which have received positive reviews. It is not unlikely that those high-quality movies comprise only a small portion of the annual productions of SSMPC. Hence, the decrees in number of visitors may be attributed to low quality of majority of its product not weak publicity. Moreover, the director should provide some data on the movies which has received less credit from both critics and public.

Thirdly, the information in memo does not clarify whether last year advertising policies had any default or alteration comparing to the other years. In case of following tenable and logical marketing guidelines to improve their publicity, considering insufficient advertisement seemed to be a faulty assumption.

All in all, the memo should include comprehensive information about the types and number of SSMPC's last year products as well as its advertisement policies. Furthermore, data about over all changes in cinema business and public trends during last year needs to be known for drawing logical conclusion about at hand issue. In fact, lacking such objective information undermines the claim in the memo and leaves some questions about the soundness of its final conclusion unanswered.