Formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take In developing and su

Formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

Education is of vital importance. It has the power to grant one the basic needs of living like - food, shelter and clothing and contribute to the development of the country. Indeed, many problems existing across the world can be solved, if formal education is made compulsory across the world. Formal education has become a prerequisite if anyone needs to succeed in life. It kindles our spirits in an orderly manner and encourages us to reach great heights. It serves as the right platform for the children to bring out their talents. Whether formal education restrains our minds and minds rather than set them free, is a contentious issue. A stand on this issue can be taken, only after a scrupulous analysis.

Firstly, children ought to be aware of their environment and they must learn to be sociable. All this can happen only in a formal education environment. The importance of subjects taught in school cannot be discounted. Even if some children feel difficult to learn certain subjects, they must do so. For instance, proficiency in English is a necessity to succeed in this globalized world. Moreover, expertise in one's own local language is also important to move freely with the people. Social studies involving history and geography, helps the children to be aware of their environment and intrigues patriotism in them. Above all, the subjects concerned with Science and Maths are the most important, since majority of the children in future will choose to pursue either Engineering or Medicine. These subjects, when taught in a formal environment, are imbibed into the minds of children. These ideas will surely help them when they venture out to the real world.

Secondly, formal education teaches the students how to be disciplined and act accordingly. For instance, children in schools often complain of homework burden. But, they somehow manage to finish their homework fearing authority and the consequences. This instills the quality of respect in them and also the requisite of doing the activities without considerable procrastination. Moreover, in most of the formal education environments, time-tables are strictly adhered to. This will intimate the students to plan out their work and work out their plan. Consequently, the students study at a normal pace everyday and speed up their pace once some exams near them. Thus, prioritization of work and allotment of time to the most important activity are the other great concepts learned indirectly by undergoing formal education. All these are done in order to execute the desired tasks smoothly without tension. Therefore, the students will be set free rather than feeling difficult on how to proceed.

The status of formal education today is not perfect and needs some improvement. On the other hand, it does not mean that, we can do away with the concept of formal education. Some people feel that their children are denied their interests through formal education. In the reality, formal education opens up multiple pathways which a student can consider to pursue. As a result, it is aimed at bringing out the innate talents of the students in the long run and help them realize their true potential. It is sad to note that formal education in some schools in countries like India, emphasize more on memorizing and reproducing the facts. While it is true that basic concepts are required for doing latter research and for thinking out of the box, it does not imply rote-memorization be followed. These kinds of minor flaws in formal education across the world needs to be corrected to clear people of many misconceptions.

Thus, formal education, in most cases frees our minds and spirits and bestows upon us the ability to think clearly and logically. A person devoid of formal education, is prone to misunderstand facts, figures and, concepts. On the whole, formal education is essential for the following: being aware of our alma-mater; being disciplined through practicing good habits; thinking out of the box and contribute to the society through fruitful research works. The United States of America can be quoted as the best example for a country that has soared to great heights in research-works in all areas, primarily because of its well-structured formal education. In conclusion, formal education is a boon and not a bane at any cost.