You are hereSome people argue that successful leaders in government, industry, or other fields must be highly competitive. Other people claim that in order to be successful, a leader must be willing and able to cooperate with others.Write a response in which you disc

Some people argue that successful leaders in government, industry, or other fields must be highly competitive. Other people claim that in order to be successful, a leader must be willing and able to cooperate with others.Write a response in which you disc

bhavikaj's picture

By bhavikaj - Posted on 24 August 2013

Some people argue that successful leaders in government, industry, or other fields must be highly competitive. Other people claim that in order to be successful, a leader must be willing and able to cooperate with others.

Write a response in which you discuss which view more closely aligns with your own position and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should address both of the views presented.

The two schools of thought mentioned in the above argument give their opinion on what kind of attitude should be adopted by leaders in several fields. One school proposes that a competitive spirit is most suitable whereas the other group favours a cooperative outlook. I partially agree with each school as which among the two is favourable depends on a case-by-case basis.

In the field of business, leaders usually need to compete with others in order a secure a plum dealing with a client. Most of the times only few top managers are made privy to this and are cautioned to be discreet about this endeavour. In such situtations, it beehoves that each member of the team display a competitive spirit and work hard towards obtaining a lucrative opportunity. However even if one of the member lacks such attitude and unwittingly discloses any confidential information to another competitor and if the same information is crucial in getting this business a prospective client, it would definitely hurt their chances of winning this dealing. Many similar situations demand that an individual adopt a competitive nature, as when it comes to competing with someone else, it is important not to let any other person privy to the knowledge by being cooperative, which is important for your triumph.

Further, competitive spirit also makes one more zealot in achieving something. It also increases one's chances of success. For example, if two hypothetical student are competing against each for achieving the top grade in their class, each needs to make sure that he grasp the subjects much better than the other to prevent defeat. Each of them will work hard in order to outshine the other in class, and hence receive more accolades from their teachers. The probability of winning over other in achieving something always makes one more loyal and fanatic in the whole process until victory falls in their hands. In several other fields too, such an outlook makes an individual more confident in succeeding in their purpose.

However, in politics or other humanitarian fields, it becomes incumbent upon a leader to project a cooperative nature. Leaders in such groups work towards the betterment of the society and are most of the time required to heed to the demands and opinion of the their people. In such situtations, a cooperative nature makes them more approachable for people and share their problems. Also such an attitude makes them willing to listen to the opinions of others, which if adopted are more favourable for the society. It increases their tendency towards adopting a more liberal mind rather be fettered by their personal ideals. Being cooperative makes them more emphatic towards the suffering of others and hence provide help in the best possible way.

In sum, whether a cooperative or competitive drive is most suited depends on the demand of the situation. Leaders who are workings towards the growth of their own organtization need a competitive outlook to succeed in their actions whereas those who work for any social cause, need to be more cooperative in dealing with others to gain maximum benefit for their people.

All too often, companies hire outside consultants to suggest ways for company to operate more efficiently. If companies were to spend more time listening to their own employees, such consultants would be unnecessary. taupaji sticky icon
The best way to teach is to praise positive action and ignore negative ones.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and sup leonm
The citizens of Forsythe have adopted healthier lifestyles. Their responses to a recent survey show that in their eating habits they conform more closely to government nutritional recommendations than they did ten years ago. Furthermore, there has been a fromUS sticky icon
A)Write a response in which you discuss which view more closely aligns with your own position and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should address both of the views presented.Some people beli Reham Youssef
In this age of intensive media coverage, it is no longer possible for a society to regard any woman or man as a hero. The reputation of anyone who is subjected to media scrutiny will eventually be diminished. - GRE Issue 72 marinna sticky icon
A pet food company recalled 4 million pounds of pet food in response to complaints that pets that had consumed the food experienced vomiting, lethargy, and other signs of illness. After the recall, the pet food company tested samples from the recalled foo burnor92
Nature's Way, a chain of stores selling health food and other health-related products, is opening its next franchise in the town of Plainsville. The store should prove to be very successful: Nature's Way franchises tend to be most profitable in areas wher nilka61 sticky icon
The following is a letter from the parent of a private school student to the principal of that school:Last year, Kensington Academy turned over management of its cafeteria to a private vendor, Swift Nutrition. This company serves low-fat, low-calorie meal zen123
ARGUMENT-The following appeared in a memo from the vice president of marketing at Dura-Sock, Inc."A recent study of our customers suggests that our company is wasting the money it spends on its patented Endure manufacturing process, which ensures that our igniter56
As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate.” harshini sticky icon

Students should always question what they are taught instead of accepting it passively.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing a Thupten Tsering GMAT/GRE
Although innovations such as video, computers, and the Internet seem to offer schools improved methods for instructing students, these technologies all too often distract from real learning. - GRE Issue 119 six11 GMAT/GRE
Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed. wasainika17 GMAT/GRE
Argument(5): The following appeared in a letter to the editor of the Balmer Island Gazette:One Balmer island, where mopeds serve as a popular form of transportation, the population increases to 100,000 during the summer months. To reduce the number of acc untermrad GMAT/GRE
Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated. f26194572 GMAT/GRE
A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college. patil.akh@gmail.com GMAT/GRE
The well-being of a society is enhanced when many of its people question authority.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and s teenam GMAT/GRE
Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archa sh_shashi1 GMAT/GRE
A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situations (such as an encounter with an unfamiliar monkey), firstborn infant monkeys mercury014 GMAT/GRE
Formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free. maryam2900 GMAT/GRE

Historians and other social scientists are as useful to society as are the biochemists and engineers because society's ill cannot be cured by technological progresses alone. ana-mika sticky icon GMAT/GRE Issue Task
"The birthrate in our city is declining: in fact, last year's birthrate was only one-half that of five years ago. Thus the number of students enrolled in our public schools will soon decrease dramatically, and we can safely reduce the funds budgeted for e darsh sticky icon GMAT/GRE Argument Task
Formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free. Hma GMAT/GRE Issue Task
"A recent study rating 300 male and female Mentian advertising executives according to the average number of hours they sleep per night showed an association between the amount of sleep the executives need and the success of their firms. Of the advertisin darsh sticky icon GMAT/GRE Argument Task
As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate. singhya sticky icon GMAT/GRE Issue Task
The following appeared as a letter to the editor from a Central Plaza store owner."Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Central Maulik Modi GMAT/GRE Argument Task
The following is from a recent email by the Diord Corp. Human Resources l\Ianager: "Tobor Technologies found that mental health problems and mental illness were responsible for about 15 percent of employee sick days. Tobor amended its employee insurance p Aditi Bapat GMAT/GRE Argument Task
"Two studies of amphibians in Xanadu National Park confirm a significant decline in the numbers of amphibians. In 1975 there were seven species of amphibians in the park, and there were abundant numbers of each species. However, in 2002 only four species darsh GMAT/GRE Argument Task
Men and women, because of their inherent physical differences, are not equally suited for many tasks.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to add Aditi Bapat GMAT/GRE Issue Task
Claiton University needs both affordable housing for its students and a way to fund the building of such housing. The best solution to this problem is to commission a famous architect known for experimental and futuristic buildings. It is common knowledge ana-mika GMAT/GRE Argument Task

In an attempt to improve highway safety, Prunty County last year lowered its speed limit from 55 to 45 miles per hour on all county highways. But this effort has failed: the number of accidents has not decreased, and based on reports by the highway patrol bigzee GMAT/GRE Argument Task
"Government funding should never be used to support art that the majority of the population finds distasteful or objectionable."Write an essay in which you take a position on the statement above. In developing and supporting your position, you should cons Aditi Bapat GMAT/GRE Issue Task
Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archa vp.sumit GMAT/GRE Argument Task
Fossil evidence indicates that the blompus-an extremely large, carnivorous land mammal-inhabited the continent of Pentagoria for tens of thousands of years until its sudden decline and ultimate extinction about twelve thousand years ago. Scientists have d Aditi Bapat GMAT/GRE Argument Task
The increasingly rapid pace of life today causes more problems than it solves. marjunak666 GMAT/GRE Issue Task

Sentence: In the field of business, leaders usually need to compete with others in order a secure a plum dealing with a client.
Description: An adjective is not usually followed by an article
Suggestion: Refer to secure and a

Sentence: Many similar situations demand that an individual adopt a competitive nature, as when it comes to competing with someone else, it is important not to let any other person privy to the knowledge by being cooperative, which is important for your triumph.
Description: The fragment individual adopt a is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace adopt with verb, past tense

Sentence: For example, if two hypothetical student are competing against each for achieving the top grade in their class, each needs to make sure that he grasp the subjects much better than the other to prevent defeat.
Description: The fragment he grasp the is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace grasp with verb, past tense

Sentence: In such situtations, it beehoves that each member of the team display a competitive spirit and work hard towards obtaining a lucrative opportunity.
Error: situtations Suggestion: situations
Error: beehoves Suggestion: beehives

Sentence: In such situtations, a cooperative nature makes them more approachable for people and share their problems.

Sentence: Leaders who are workings towards the growth of their own organtization need a competitive outlook to succeed in their actions whereas those who work for any social cause, need to be more cooperative in dealing with others to gain maximum benefit for their people.
Error: organtization Suggestion: organization

Always put a space after punctuation marks. E-rater is sensitive.