Essay topics: Some people argue that successful leaders in government, industry, or other fields must be highly competitive. Other people claim that in order to be successful, a leader must be willing and able to cooperate with others.
Write a response in which you discuss which view more closely aligns with your own position and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should address both of the views presented.
The two schools of thought mentioned in the above argument give their opinion on what kind of attitude should be adopted by leaders in several fields. One school proposes that a competitive spirit is most suitable whereas the other group favours a cooperative outlook. I partially agree with each school as which among the two is favourable depends on a case-by-case basis.
In the field of business, leaders usually need to compete with others in order a secure a plum dealing with a client. Most of the times only few top managers are made privy to this and are cautioned to be discreet about this endeavour. In such situtations, it beehoves that each member of the team display a competitive spirit and work hard towards obtaining a lucrative opportunity. However even if one of the member lacks such attitude and unwittingly discloses any confidential information to another competitor and if the same information is crucial in getting this business a prospective client, it would definitely hurt their chances of winning this dealing. Many similar situations demand that an individual adopt a competitive nature, as when it comes to competing with someone else, it is important not to let any other person privy to the knowledge by being cooperative, which is important for your triumph.
Further, competitive spirit also makes one more zealot in achieving something. It also increases one's chances of success. For example, if two hypothetical student are competing against each for achieving the top grade in their class, each needs to make sure that he grasp the subjects much better than the other to prevent defeat. Each of them will work hard in order to outshine the other in class, and hence receive more accolades from their teachers. The probability of winning over other in achieving something always makes one more loyal and fanatic in the whole process until victory falls in their hands. In several other fields too, such an outlook makes an individual more confident in succeeding in their purpose.
However, in politics or other humanitarian fields, it becomes incumbent upon a leader to project a cooperative nature. Leaders in such groups work towards the betterment of the society and are most of the time required to heed to the demands and opinion of the their people. In such situtations, a cooperative nature makes them more approachable for people and share their problems. Also such an attitude makes them willing to listen to the opinions of others, which if adopted are more favourable for the society. It increases their tendency towards adopting a more liberal mind rather be fettered by their personal ideals. Being cooperative makes them more emphatic towards the suffering of others and hence provide help in the best possible way.
In sum, whether a cooperative or competitive drive is most suited depends on the demand of the situation. Leaders who are workings towards the growth of their own organtization need a competitive outlook to succeed in their actions whereas those who work for any social cause, need to be more cooperative in dealing with others to gain maximum benefit for their people.
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? With the help of technology, students nowadays can learn more information and learn it more quickly. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
- Some people believe that the Earth is being harmed (damaged) by human activity. Others feel that human activity makes the Earth a better place to live. What is your opinion? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
- In general, people are living longer now. Discuss the causes of thisphenomenon. Use specific reasons and details to develop your essay.
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?It is more important for students to understand ideas and concepts than it is for them to learn facts.
- It has been said, “Not everything that is learned is contained in books.” Compare and contrast knowledge gained from experience with knowledge gained from books. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why?
- Toefl Integrated writing-American wood companies adopting ecofriendly practices.
- TOEFL integrated writing: Chevalier de Seingalt
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?Television advertising directed toward young children (aged two to five) should not be allowed.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
- It is more important to keep your old friends than to make new friends.
- Young people enjoy more life than older people do.